Large Scale Central

Brisket smoke

I have about a fifty-fifty record with brisket. About half the time it’s great, and the other half it’s awful. This one was one of the good half.

It was a 10.25 Lb. choice grade whole brisket. I rubbed it with brown sugar, coarse kosher salt, garlic, onion, mustard, paprika, and new mexico chili powder. It got rubbed, wrapped, and due to circumstances, spent six days in the refrigerator. Today it got smoked with pecan at about 225 (give or take) for eight hours to an internal temp of 205. Then it got wrapped in foil and went in a cooler for another 2 hours.

The flat is tender, but doesn’t fall apart. The point is like butter. The flavor goes all the way through.

Daniel

After four hours remove the meat and double wrap it in aluminum foil (seam up). Put on a cookie sheet underneath in case their is a little leaking, also helps in handling the meat. This is called a “Texas Crutch” and the idea is to wrap the meat as tight as possible to prevent steam and further moisture from escaping as well as no air gaps underneath the foil. These will cause cooling and lead to a condition called “stalling”. These pockets lower the cooking temp and prevent the meat from getting to the proper core temp. Place the packet in preheated oven (225) on the center rack. Let them run for 8-10 hours depending on size.

$.02

Damn that looks good Dan! You ought to go into business selling those and sending them out, Like the episode of MASH where they send back stateside for Ribs…YUM!!

I can heartily recommend the Amazing Ribs site. I use a slightly modified version of their Perfect Pulled Pork recipe. This site is a bit like Wikipedia in that there are hundreds of links embedded in the pages and I’m easily distracted wandering around.

Slight warning, there is a bunch of advertising on the site unless you join, which I haven’t.

In the words of Jim Carey in The Mask - Smokin’