Large Scale Central

Garden Railways Magazine

so…fifteen minutes after posting this I get a call from Kent Johnson at Clambake saying this information is not public yet. Even though the reliable source who has been directly impacted said post it.

Hope you read it!

TOC

Nice to see you again TOC.

Greetings TOC

Hope you read it!

Yes, it is still posted over on MLS, with Kent named as the new Editor.

Glad to see you here TOC! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I just got back from my trip and found the “Your GR Subscription has Expired” letter from Kalmbach. There was also a letter with an offer for the new, 4-copy annual subscription of 7% off. 7 whole percent off !!

Then I read the latest issue, and the number of mistakes and problems in the first few pages was quite unusual. The new editor isn’t very experienced and knows nothing about garden railways or his readers.

Has anyone re-subscribed to this catastrophe?

I let my subscription lapse before Marc was canned.

Hey TOC, glad to see you post!

Couldn’t find the post on MLS, it’s not letting me view anything older than a few days for some reason. If someone could pm me a link… (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

I agree with Pete, there’s a lot of editorial shortcomings… and it’s been getting that way since even before the great switchover. For example, most highschoolers could have fact checked Nancy Norris in suggesting (10/18, p17) the Romans had been inspired by DaVinci to build their viaducts… I’ve enjoyed her gardening articles over the years, but sheesh…

CJ

Yah, but, Our Shawn features prominantly! Well done Shawn!!!

Cliff Jennings said:

Hey TOC, glad to see you post!

Couldn’t find the post on MLS, it’s not letting me view anything older than a few days for some reason. If someone could pm me a link… (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

snip

CJ

Pst, that was a year ago, y’know.

Curmudgeon mcneely said:

so…fifteen minutes after posting this I get a call from Kent Johnson at Clambake saying this information is not public yet. Even though the reliable source who has been directly impacted said post it.

Hope you read it!

TOC

Glad Kent at Clambake called you…Did you have corn on the cob and steamed crabs with the Clambake?

Please let us know how this is fantastic hobby forum promotion event went as its been a year and we are all in suspense!

Let’s give Nancy and the “editors” a break.

The Romans built aqueducts to carry water, not viaducts, but, hey, it’s only semantics, right?

And Nancy & Co. were off by only 1200 years, seeing as the Romans built their aqueducts around 300 AD and ole’ Leo lived around 1500 AD. It’s only a few centuries, and, after all, it was all so long ago.

And, hey, does it really matter that DaVinci never designed an aqueduct in the first place? After all he had a life-long fascination with all things water, drew up plans for canals in Italy, and he’s famous for all kinds of inventions … so what’s a little aqueduct, viaduct, canal among friends?

Besides, isn’t there a Hannah Montana song called “Nobody’s Perfect” that goes something like: " Everybody makes mistakes, Everybody has those days, One, two, three, four! Everybody makes mistakes, Everybody has those days" ?

Eric Schade said:

Yah, but, Our Shawn features prominantly! Well done Shawn!!!

Yes indeed, atta boy Shawn!

And thanks Eric for all your excellent articles!!

Everyone decries the “death” of our hobby, but advertizers are the lifeblood of a magazine for the GENERAL hobby. Sure we can complain, “there is too much live steam/ narrowguage/dieselmodern/ tram trolley” content in a magazine or in the general direction of the magazine. But if people will not support the magazine by buying it, the advertizers will take their dollars elsewhere, or in the case of a few lately, close up shop altogether, which further fuels the “death of the hobby” debate.

I got started in this hobby about 5 years ago from me seeing a small free thrown in my driveway every Thursday newspaper article about the club’s open house, and then the grocery store magazine rack had GR, so I got a subscription and went from there. The newspaper planted the seed for something interesting, the magazine made it grow and the ads made it happen, as I am not someone who is good at building from scratch the ads helped fuel the fire. Long winded explanation but even though print magazines in general are slowly going away I will continue to hope that GR is around, fact errors( we all can admit to them) and great pictures of LSC member railroads included.

I for one would love to see a good GR type scale drawing of everyones layout, I think the layout tour in the magazine should the best thing about it, as everyone has an idea, track plan or feature that can inspire someone . my $.02 I expect change back from it!

edited because people are complaining about misteaks

Hi Mr. John Passaro ,

Garden Railways is ONLY a Magazine about TOY TRAINS !

This is not a Medical Journal after all.

Perspective.

Live Steam Locomotive, Electric Motor Driven Steam Locomotive, Exact Scale, Not Anywhere Near Correct Scale … these Are All ONLY TOYS Simply Purchased by Adults for

Adults to Simply PLAY With to De-stress from Adult Life Pressures and to Remissness of their Happy Childhood Train PLAYING Days.

Norman

Pete Lassen said:

…edited because people are complaining about misteaks

Pete, I was trying to apply a little reverse humor to the lack of care at a printed, edited magazine, even if it is only a hobby magazine, not the mistakes you and I make around the forum here.

I think I know what I’m talking about. At one time I wrote a weekly art column for a newspaper here, and I can tell you I damn well made sure I double-checked everything; when I did somehow slip up, the copyeditor caught me. And God forbid I made a big mistake, because the one time I did, I caught hell from two editors who ran the paper. Absolute hell. Before the paper was printed. Of course, Walter Cronkite was still alive in those days!!

Maybe GR will print a clarification or correction in the next issue.

***p.s.: To tell you the truth, I’m a little nervous saying anything about this, because I’m going on what Cliff said and I haven’t read the article myself. I think Cliff’s reliable, but I can guarantee you, if I were publishing my little rant beyond this forum, I’d have the magazine in hand and read and re-read the actual language. Maybe like ten times.

Norman Bourgault said:

Hi Mr. John Passaro ,

Garden Railways is ONLY a Magazine about TOY TRAINS !

This is not a Medical Journal after all.

Perspective.

Live Steam Locomotive, Electric Motor Driven Steam Locomotive, Exact Scale, Not Anywhere Near Correct Scale … these Are All ONLY TOYS Simply Purchased by Adults for

Adults to Simply PLAY With to De-stress from Adult Life Pressures and to Remissness of their Happy Childhood Train PLAYING Days.

Norman

I hear you, Norman, and 99% of me agrees with you, but there’s still part of me that wants professionals to be professional.

For me, I think GR is still worthwhile, and I’m glad they’re trying new things. They also seem to have a limitless supply of “new” layouts from readers I’ve never heard of, which indicates GR is still the primary info hub for a lot of people, filling a void that forums cannot.

However, regarding what I mentioned before, I get the sense that they’re really scrambling to cover all the bases, e.g., the garden editor covering bridge construction. FWIW, here’s the text I referred to:

“A Roman Arch Bridge: Possibly helped by Leonardo da Vinci’s arch, the Romans were the first to build large, sustainable bridges, aqueducts, vaults and domes with stone and/or cement products.”

Perhaps she meant something like “…helped by something similar to Leonardo da Vinci’s much later arch” And if so, my apologies. Again, Nancy’s articles have been excellent over all these years. I have her book, and I hope she keeps adding to her body of work.

CJ

Cliff Jennings said:

For me, I think GR is still worthwhile, and I’m glad they’re trying new things. They also seem to have a limitless supply of “new” layouts from readers I’ve never heard of, which indicates GR is still the primary info hub for a lot of people, filling a void that forums cannot.

However, regarding what I mentioned before, I get the sense that they’re really scrambling to cover all the bases, e.g., the garden editor covering bridge construction. FWIW, here’s the text I referred to:

“A Roman Arch Bridge: Possibly helped by Leonardo da Vinci’s arch, the Romans were the first to build large, sustainable bridges, aqueducts, vaults and domes with stone and/or cement products.”

Perhaps she meant something like “…helped by something similar to Leonardo da Vinci’s much later arch” And if so, my apologies. Again, Nancy’s articles have been excellent over all these years. I have her book, and I hope she keeps adding to her body of work.

CJ

Really! It’s Golden Arches and a matter of time. John Luc denied any knowledge …

I think the magazine still has merit but the paper they are printing it on is worse than portapotty toilet paper.