Large Scale Central

Need small wheels.

I found a 1940’s vintage tear drop trailer in the same scale as my Volkswagen rail bus. Now I have to replace the road tires with rail wheels and add a coupler to it and the bus so the bus can tow it down the track. I need small wheels. What’s the smallest size wheels I can get, that you guys know about?

While I’m at it, I need to find a little coupler that will work. a standard g scale coupler will be too big. Could I go with an O or HO coupler?

I’d go with either a O gauge coupler of one of the On3 3/4 size couplers. can’t remember who made them though.

Thanks. I’ll see what I can find.

Thanks. I’ll see what I can find.

Check NWSL. I recently ordered some O scale wheels for use on a HY Rail truck. Worked out to 16" diameter in 1/29.

Have you looked at the Field Railroad wheels from LGB? They are 20mm/.79" diameter and would already be set up for G gauge track.

Sophie B

Dismal Creek Railroad

Isn’t the teardrop trailer a single axle trailer? A knuckle coupler won’t work for that kind of application. You need a trailer hitch or draw-bar.

I was originally thinking about a link and pin set up of some kind.

Magnet! One of those tiny super magnets should keep them together but allow sideways motion.

Simulate the ball and cap, use a round magnet and a tin cup.

edit: a flattened tip of a nail should be enough attraction. You’ll need lateral movement through switches.

Maybe…

Found the wheels I need. Field Railroad wheels will work fine. Now to order a set.