Large Scale Central

Our newly outshopped and painted Porter

I just received a photo of our 3-3/4 inch scale (on 7-1/2 inch gauge track), newly painted and lettered for her prototype sister. Came out very nice. Painted by the owner Dan O’Brien and lettered by a sign painter who works for Walt Disney Studios. AND yes, that is gold leaf outlining the lettering :)!

She’s right purty, should be able to haul all the Grand kids!

I’m jealous.

David Maynard said:

I’m jealous.

Don’t be…this engine is a handful. Weighs over 600 pounds and handles like a full size steam engine. Has a very nice “bark” from the stack when pulling the 3-1/2% grade through the South Tunnel on the LALS club RR.

John Caughey said:

Dan is building a few ore cars in 3-3/4 scale to be used as riding cars for passengers. All steel and very heavy. We wanted heavy cars to really test the strength of this engine. I’ll have to find out what the tractive force is for this loco "). It’s very strong, I know that.

Gary Armitstead said:

John Caughey said:

Dan is building a few ore cars in 3-3/4 scale to be used as riding cars for passengers. All steel and very heavy. We wanted heavy cars to really test the strength of this engine. I’ll have to find out what the tractive force is for this loco "). It’s very strong, I know that.

I hope that weight doesn’t over test your bridges!

John Caughey said:

Gary Armitstead said:

John Caughey said:

I hope that weight doesn’t over test your bridges!

I won’t run it on my home RR. Too big and not enough side clearance. The cab is around 24 inches WIDE! The bridges at LALS are rated for the heaviest steam engines built in the ride-on scales. The heaviest engines now are the #24 Sandy River 2-6-2 two-footers in 3-3/4 inch scale! These are massive engines and are nearing the limit of what can be run safely on 7-1/2 inch gauge track, even steel rail! These engines are around 2500 to 2800 pounds dry!

Very cool and beautifully done. Thanks for sharing.