Large Scale Central

Bachmann Speeders

Hello All!

So, I am looking into getting a small motive power for my railroad since my only loco (Forney SR&RL) is being fitted with R/C and battery power. I need something small I can run on DC power and I thought a speeder might be a good idea. I was also thinking perhaps a Bachmann large scale Toby the Tram (he was always my favorite), but he doesn’t fit my theme of New England Railroads. Has anyone ever seen or own a Speeder? Is it worth it?

Nice idea.

I love the small locomotives myself, even though I have a lot of large ones, the little guys seem to be used more.

I don’t know your interests, nor have I ever run the Bachmann Speeder.

However, you MIGHT also consider the Hartland Locomotive Works. Again, I have NOT tried any of these, but they can at least haul some of your rolling stock around - if that’s at all important. They seem to get pretty good reviews.

If you are talking the K-Line speeder, that was later sold by USA Trains, and is now sold by Bachmann, it’s a cute little speeder, but it is quite small, 1:32 so will you run it later with your much larger loco?

Also, if you are going battery power, I would expect your track power situation may not be the best, and a short wheelbase “loco” with limited pickup and quite light (makes a difference in pickup) is sort of 3 strikes against you right off.

I’d look for a longer wheelbase, larger scale, and more pickups, or more spread out pickups.

Greg

All good advice from Greg, I have found the Hartland Mack, despite being a small single block loco does well on less then perfect track power. Keeping with small and inexpensive the Bachman Spektrum 0-4-0 tank engines are also pretty good for that.

Upping the ante, any USAT diesel such as the S 4, GP7/9, NW 2 do very well on track power but cost quite a bit more. I have a BM speeder, and I think you may be frustrated with sputtering running on less then perfect track power, especially switches.

Jerry