Large Scale Central

Lionel PRR E6s Atlantic upgraded and batterized

Here is a link to a short video of my old Lionel Large Scale PRR E6s Atlantic, now converted to onboard battery power. The battery is a 7 cell, 8.4 volt, 5000mah, Nimh RC car battery, mounted in the boiler to add weight(but not so much to add wear to the plastic chassis). Motor gained 2 more zip ties prior to mounting the battery with silicone above it. A charging port is right behind the old smoke unit switch(smoke unit removed as they just eat battery power). Using that switch for turning engine on or off. Going to change that to a toggle switch in the cab later tonight for easier access. I am looking for a set of class lights/marker lights from the boiler or tender to add to the pilot deck as Pennsy ran lights there and up on the boiler back in the pre-moderinzation era. Hoping someone removed them from an engine or has a trashed model that has a pair on it. dont care what color the jewels are or even if it has jewels in them. Enjoy the video, she had been running for over 2 hours before I shot the video. Mike the Aspie

https://youtu.be/92MK6doMXEc

Is it also radio controlled?

Nope, another one of my “set and go” engines. I just turn them on and sit back and enjoy 99% of the time. This one might get a higher power battery and receiver in the tender at some point, but for now, I am pleased how it runs and the duration is plenty for me. If I lived closer to RLD hobbies or another large layout where she could “stretch her legs a bit”, then I might get more motivated to put RC and a 14.8vt lith-ion battery in the tender.

It runs at a good speed right now.

That she does. Its a tad faster for the first 20 min or so till the surface charge wears off, then settles down to this speed and at nearly 3 hours of run time when I shut it off, had not really slowed down any. Starting to see a bit of a fall off when dragging the train thru the tight curve, but its very slight, probably good for another hour or so before it will fall on its face and need recharged.