Forums Modeling Motive Power
  • Topic: Big Hauler front coupler

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 29, 2018 11:03 PM EDT
      • Peeples Valley, Arizona

• Thanks

Big Hauler front coupler

These two new 4-6-0 locos have a fake front coupler. At first glance, it looks like a knuckle coupler, but it doesn't open, and it doesn't mount like a real Bachman knuckle coupler. Anyone have any experience in replacing these with a real, working coupler. What does it take?

• April 29, 2018 11:11 PM EDT
      • Saint Johns, Florida

• Thanks

Daniel Collins said:

These two new 4-6-0 locos have a fake front coupler. At first glance, it looks like a knuckle coupler, but it doesn't open, and it doesn't mount like a real Bachman knuckle coupler. Anyone have any experience in replacing these with a real, working coupler. What does it take?

A lot depends on the type coupler you want to install. It will take a bit of butchery and innovation, but it can be done.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,23753.0.html

• April 30, 2018 2:33 AM EDT
      • Tingewick, Buckinghamshire

• Thanks

Kadee do working replacement couplers for the Annie/Big Hauler see here https://kadee.com/htmbord/page791-1791.htm and here https://kadee.com/conv/b460bh.htm That's how I did mine, very simple and effective. These two coupler conversions work at the same height as Spectrum and AMS stock not the Big Hauler stock height.

This post was edited by Max Winter at April 30, 2018 2:41 AM EDT
    • April 30, 2018 4:04 PM EDT

•  
      • Thanks

I tend to recommend a knuckle coupler without draft gear, since often it's another loco you are coupled to.

I get enough coupler swing from the tender ahead to be able to have a fixed coupler mount, and the slender shank of the coupler and not putting a big draft gear box usually looks better and takes less surgery.

Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.

­Click HERE for Greg­'s web sit­e
      PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

Forums Modeling Motive Power

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google