Large Scale Central

ICE in Florida

My pal Jack got himself a 5-car ICE train from some guy in the Netherlands. Windows are cut out and LED lighting installed.

We had quite a discussion about the sound. He installed a Revo rx with diesel sound, and I don’t think it’s bad - electrics have lots of fans and other whooshing noises? See what you think of this:

And then take a listen to this: http://www.largescalecentral.com/filesharing/file/view/7475/ice-soundfile1-jack-mp3 which is extracted from a YT video of real ICE trains whooshing past. (I edited it to get rid of the birds twittering, etc., while the cameraman waited for the trains.)

Edit: Interesting the way these forums don’t support sound files. Any ideas how to make the link play the music?

While we are on the subject, can anyone tell me the differences/similarities with the LCE? I ask because there is an LCE set with an extra coach available. Looks like the coaches are the same but with different stick-on overlays? Are the power blocks lidentical - Jack could use another if he increases to 7 cars.

And finally, has anyone cut out the windows? What did you use?

I have an ICE set, and yes the power blocks are identical. Mine is set for batt/RC, so I ran a power wire from car to car to the front/rear loco and LEDs. You plug in each car as you "couple? them together.

However, mine has been painted and doesn’t even represent an ICE anymore. It is a whimsey two headed snake now. I have LED eyes, flashing ground effects and other stuff.

AS to windows, I am going to put round portholes one of these days.

I think answered on the other forum, one model is ICE version 1 and one is ICE version 3.

Greg

That is one great looking train. I think I’m going to have to get one of those.

Greg Elmassian said:

I think answered on the other forum, one model is ICE version 1 and one is ICE version 3.

Yes, and my other name is Fred (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

ha ha Pete!.

There is a thread somewhere showing someone cutting them out… if it was not here or MLS, then it was GSC.

Looked a lot better.

Greg

Pete Thornton said:

Why?

Are you looking for more depth/detail to the overlay (stickers) on the units ? If that is the case then I would think it would be more correctly detailed with a pantograph grabbing 440 on a catenary.

Not following your logic… so if you desire something more realistic than stickers representing windows, you have to have a pantograph with 440 volts?

(by the way they use WAY more than 440 volts… did you mean 440 Kmph? )

I’d say that the stickers for the windows make it look toylike, the mods I have seen with cut out windows looked a lot better.

Greg

Sorry Greg …it was an inside disturbing joke…I thought about doing overhead catenary here in the past just for the looks. The discussion came up about critters messing it up. So my comment was I’ll just make it 440volts and they won’t do that again.

Greg, Rooster does black opaque windows on his Amtrak cars. He doesn’t see a problem with black stickers for windows.

I agree, electric locomotives and streetcars look odd running without an overhead power source, but trying to maintain that in scale, outside, would be a real pain. And yes, I thought the overhead was 12KV.

" Rooster " said:

Pete Thornton said:

Why?

Are you looking for more depth/detail to the overlay (stickers) on the units ? If that is the case then I would think it would be more correctly detailed with a pantograph grabbing 440 on a catenary.

I’m asking because the original owner cut out the side windows and fitted LED lighting. Jack’s getting some LCE cars to add, and will have to consider how to make them similar.

Pete, did you find that thread where the guy showed cutting out the windows and the progress of doing it? Most likely you already did, but I forgot where it was.

Greg

David Maynard said:

Greg, Rooster does black opaque windows on his Amtrak cars. He doesn’t see a problem with black stickers for windows.

Clearly you did not follow those builds as you were probably busy on other forums. No stickers on those windows but since you already know that I have no problem with stickers so we will leave it at that.

I said you did black opaque windows. I didn’t say you did stickers.

And no, I didn’t follow those builds. Double decker, fluted, stainless steel passenger cars don’t really fit into my pre 1915, narrow gauge theme.

OK, I found the thread on cutting out the windows on the ICE train:

https://www.gscalecentral.net/threads/lgb-lce-improvement-project.33700/

I tried to insert the pictures but they come out too small…

Greg

David Maynard said:

I said you did black opaque windows. I didn’t say you did stickers.

And no, I didn’t follow those builds. Double decker, fluted, stainless steel passenger cars don’t really fit into my pre 1915, narrow gauge theme.

Yes …so how does not having a problem with stickers relate to “black opaque” windows ?

The stickers are black and opaque.

OK, I found the thread on cutting out the windows on the ICE train:

https://www.gscalecentral.net/threads/lgb-lce-improvement-project.33700/

Greg, I also found that but Dave doesn’t tell you how he cut them out - just that he did! I want to know what tool he used and how he stopped it from wandering. [I have cut out windows in Accucraft coaches, and I haven’t found the right way yet!]

I tried to insert the pictures but they come out too small…

Curious that. I copied one and stored it on my desktop so here it is.

Pete, often times when I want to cut out windows on buildings and such, I cut inside the line and then work to the line with emery boards and files. Also my straight edge is placed so the the waste side of the cut is exposed. That way, if there is any tendency for the blade to wander, it will wander into the scrap part, and it just requires a bit more sanding in that spot to get the opening to where I want it.