Large Scale Central

RE: Accucraft C19 Brass Tender Dis-assembly

Hi folks,

I have a brass Accucraft C19 electric locomotive #346 Green Boiler that I purchased from Jonathan Blues (EMW) back in 2008. He did all of the install of the Phoenix Sound and AirWire wireless. Has a Phoenix G2 card.

My problem is that finally after 10 years, the NiMH battery in the tender is just about gone. I will have to replace soon. When Jonathan did the install, he was able to do a very clean job. But I’m not familiar enough with what he did, to start to remove “items” to get at the old battery, remove it and install a new one. My question is can the upper tender shell be removed from the tender frame without damaging something. It IS a beautiful all brass tender. Any suggestions from those who have familiarity with this particular tender and engine. Cliffy is retired from Accucraft or I would have called them for advice.

Thank you for any assistance :).

My AML K-4 tender had 10 screws underneath and the shell lifted off.

The wires to the rear headlight and marker lights were very short, could be ripped out easily.

Greg

Thanks Greg,

Apparently the tenders on these C19’s were made a little different. NO screws. Seems like a very difficult way to manufacture…tank must be soldered to the frame. Strange…

Talked to Tommy Mejia tonight and he says his Accucraft #41 is all one piece. When he replaced his battery a few years ago, he had to pull everything out through the coal load opening! Ended up breaking the on/off switch and cracking one of the boards! Everything was “hot-glued” in place. Jonathan also did Tommy’s installation a week before he did mine. I guess I am going to have to do some surgery to mine :(. Not happy. At least I don’t have to worry about the rear light…#346 didn’t have one!

I have the live steam version of the C-19 and the way into the tender, and gas tank, is by lifting out the coal load. I assume there would not be any major tooling up difference between it and the electric version.

Max Winter said:

I have the live steam version of the C-19 and the way into the tender, and gas tank, is by lifting out the coal load. I assume there would not be any major tooling up difference between it and the electric version.

Max,

Yes I believe that both the steam and electric versions of the tender are the same. My problem is that the coal load opening is only slightly larger than the electronics inside. Some of the boards have been hot-glued to the card beloit. Breakage of the boards is my biggest concern. Once I have them out and remove the old battery, I will find another solution to installing batteries in the future.

Thanks for the verification that the tank shell doesn’t come apart separate from the frame. So much easier on a inexpensive Bachmann Connie tender :). Shell removes with two screws.

Supposedly rubbing alcohol will loosen the hold hot melt glue has on items. It would be less risky then trying to pry the boards out/apart.

David Maynard said:

Supposedly rubbing alcohol will loosen the hold hot melt glue has on items. It would be less risky then trying to pry the boards out/apart.

Thanks David. Great idea :).

I can confirm the tenders do not come apart easily. The live steamers tore their hair out trying to get behind the coal area to install r/c gear, as the coal area has the gas tank and water bath.
I think some folk cut into the water tank from underneath.