Large Scale Central

Snow in Dixie - NT/OT

Here is what I woke up to this morning. We get snow on rare occasions and when we do everything shuts down and people go crazy. I know there are those that have to deal with this stuff on a regular basis and it is no big deal or it’s a pain in the a$$ but here in the south it means a day off to work on train stuff About 4".

There might be a layout under all that snow … one day

That top picture could almost make a Post Card. Just the way I like snow…somewhere I am not!

Dan Hilyer said:

Here is what I woke up to this morning. We get snow on rare occasions and when we do everything shuts down and people go crazy.

We didn’t want you feeling left out, Dan, and feeling envious of us Yankees.

I’ve driven down there after it’s snowed and you’re right. It’s nuts. What I liked was seeing snow on the palm trees…:wink:

Of course the medial strip on I-95 looked as if a tank battle had been fought, but snow on the Crepe Myrtles and Palm trees was neat.

Bob Cope said:

That top picture could almost make a Post Card. Just the way I like snow…somewhere I am not!

Bob, here is the post card shot. This taken by a neighbor back in December when we got a little dusting. The ice on the trees makes the shot. This is a photo of a photo.

Ken Brunt said:

Dan Hilyer said:

Here is what I woke up to this morning. We get snow on rare occasions and when we do everything shuts down and people go crazy.

We didn’t want you feeling left out, Dan, and feeling envious of us Yankees.

I’ve driven down there after it’s snowed and you’re right. It’s nuts. What I liked was seeing snow on the palm trees…:wink:

Of course the medial strip on I-95 looked as if a tank battle had been fought, but snow on the Crepe Myrtles and Palm trees was neat.

Ken, I don’t mind being left out when it comes to snow. I don’t mind it when it is like the event in the picture I just posted: everything white when you get up and all gone by noon. This event will be here at least through tomorrow. Hard to run a business that can’t close completely regardless of the weather. So you Yankees can keep the white stuff(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif) Speaking of I95, I got caught in a winter storm coming out of northern Maine back in 2014 and I95 was littered with cars in the median and the ditches, but this southern boy just eased on down the road real gingerly with no issues.

Lol and my yard is bare. Well a piece of it is anyway.

Dan Hilyer said:. Hard to run a business that can’t close completely regardless of the weather.

I didn’t realize you are a Fire Fighter. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

David Marconi, FOGCH said:

Dan Hilyer said:. Hard to run a business that can’t close completely regardless of the weather.

I didn’t realize you are a Fire Fighter. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

No, Hollywood, Dad is the Fire Fighter in the family and like most fire fighters I’ve met, he loved every minute of his 30 plus years. But it is hard to fight a fire very effectively without water (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif), which is what my folks provide.

Thank your father. BCFD for 32 years in HazMat here Dan.

I’ll certainly tell him, Hollywood and thank you for your service. It takes a special person to run into a fire when everyone else is trying to get as far away as they can.

Yes Dan, it does take a special person. My brother is Kodak, TN volunteer FD and Emerson, NJ before that. He says “I am the psyco running into the burning building that everyone else is running out of.” And for me, I thank all the public servants…police, fire, and paramedics … that frequently risk their lives to save ours.

I can just imagine if it ever snowed here in LA (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

Just so you know they go crazy here the the Northwest when it snows, They think ‘I have a 4 wheel drive car and I can go 75 MPH’, however they forget they have to be able to STOP! I remember one winter years ago, going to work on day a man standing next to his Van sitting in the ditch on it’s top and it was only frosty! It is fun to watch them trying to kill each other!

Paul

Paul yea. Since I have a Jeep, and I am a somewhat experienced driver, I get “volunteered” to give people rides what it gets real bad around here. Having all 4 wheels pulling gets you moving on almost anything. But tyres and breaks are the same on a 2 wheel drive or a 4 wheel drive.

I had to laugh. The corner house, 2 blocks over from my hose, had a car in it’s front yard again. Every time there is a decent snowfall, that yard gets a car or two stuck in it. If I owned that house, I would have to move, or erect some kind of guard rail or barrier.

Last year there was a 4 wheel drive truck with a lift kit stuck in his yard. Several other cars were slipping around and trying to get through that area. The drivers of those cars looked at me, with odd expressions on their faces, when I come rolling through in my little Ford Transit Connect, its the company’s vehicle. Yea, I was probably going a whole 3 MPH. No, its not 4 wheel drive, and no it didn’t have snow tyres. What it had was a driver who was in no hurry, and who knew how to keep rolling in a straight line in those conditions.

David Maynard said:

Paul yea. Since I have a Jeep, and I am a somewhat experienced driver, I get “volunteered” to give people rides what it gets real bad around here. Having all 4 wheels pulling gets you moving on almost anything. But tyres and breaks are the same on a 2 wheel drive or a 4 wheel drive.

I had to laugh. The corner house, 2 blocks over from my hose, had a car in it’s front yard again. Every time there is a decent snowfall, that yard gets a car or two stuck in it. If I owned that house, I would have to move, or erect some kind of guard rail or barrier.

Last year there was a 4 wheel drive truck with a lift kit stuck in his yard. Several other cars were slipping around and trying to get through that area. The drivers of those cars looked at me, with odd expressions on their faces, when I come rolling through in my little Ford Transit Connect, its the company’s vehicle. Yea, I was probably going a whole 3 MPH. No, its not 4 wheel drive, and no it didn’t have snow tyres. What it had was a driver who was in no hurry, and who knew how to keep rolling in a straight line in those conditions.

David Maynard said:

It’s good to know we are not the only folks with idiot drivers when it snows. What possesses people, especially in the south, to get out and drive when there is snow and ICE on the roadways? We had a car hit a fire hydrant wednesday when they slid off the road and instead of my folks sitting safely at home and off the roadways, they had to work all day. Dont’ misunderstand, we dont mind working regardless of the conditions if it’s something that can’t be helped, but when folks are told to stay off the roadway and they fail to heed that warning, it really ticks me off. And its going to cost their insurance company a large sum of $$$$$$$$$. I’ll get off my soap box … for now.