Forums Modeling Annual Build Challenge
  • Topic: Waverly Southern RR Mik's Build Challenge 2018

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 2, 2018 11:49 PM EST
      • Waverly, Alabama

• Thanks

Waverly Southern RR Mik's Build Challenge 2018

The boys over at WSRR’s Brown Dog Timber & Logging Ry have requested a place to go sit down and eat before they get started in the mornings and after a long day’s work.  They claim they have a good cook in Maxwell T, but he needs a proper place to practice his trade.  Cooking under a lean-to cobbled together on a flat car has served them well for camps that move a lot, but the stand of timber they are on now will keep them busy in one place for several years so they want a more permanent cookhouse.

R.E. Mington and Uncle Munson discussed the loggers request and came up with the rough drawing shown below and submitted it to WSRR owner Mr. B.C. Paws for his approval.  Mr. Paws gave Mington the OK to get started on the cookhouse and asked him to consider building a couple new logger’s cabins for some new workers that would be arriving soon.  Mr. Paws indicated he would certainly look at his schedule and his wood inventory and if he had the wood and could get the cabins worked into his schedule he would gladly take on the task.

Maxwell T's Cookhouse

• January 3, 2018 1:03 AM EST
      • Post Falls, Idaho

• Thanks

That be a cool cook shack.

• January 13, 2018 10:13 PM EST
      • Waverly, Alabama

• Thanks

Well, R.E. Mington and the boys made progress today, but not the progress they had intended.  The wood shop doesn’t have any heat and it was downright cold down in Dixie this morning.  So, Mington turned to the technical folks and let them work building windows and doors.  These items are needed anyway so Mington figured he really didn’t lose any time.  During our absence from LSC, Mr. Paws purchased the RR a newfangled machine.  It’s one of them thar printers, 3d printer, I think.  Anyway, the boys that no how to run this contraption made up some fancy drawings and stuffed in that thing and out come winders and doors.

Mington also got all the sub walls cut out and even managed to round up enough tin to roof the cookhouse when the time comes.

Mington plans to cut wood tomorrow, regardless of the temp.  More to come.

• January 13, 2018 10:51 PM EST

•  
      • Thanks

Nice!

• January 14, 2018 6:38 PM EST
      • Waverly, Alabama

• Thanks

Thanks, Joe.

R.E. Mington and the boys finally made some sawdust today.  We are using wood that actually has RR history to it.  Back in the 80’s my Dad was hired to remove an old RR maintenance shop that was constructed next to the depot in Opelika, Al.  The building was constructed of structural steel so we could dismantle it and it is now a large mechanics shop at my Dad’s place of business.  The wood came from the roof of the building which we have piled up at my Dad’s farm.  The roof underlayment was built using true 2x6’s.  The 2x6’s are grooved on each side to accept a spline for the tongue. 

It is beautiful heart pine wood.  It takes some work to get it in a useable shape because one side (underside as originally installed) was painted and the top side has tar.  But Mington’s crew got it done.

We milled out 3 board’s 1.5 x 3.5 x 26.5”.  Two will combine to get me the 53” I am allowed building in 1:20.3 scale.  I cut the other one because there is quite a bit of checking in two of the boards so I might have to cannibalize the other board.  Now, I know pine is not going to last very long outside so we will spray it with something to help protect it and keep in the house except when operating the RR.  Heck, at the pace I am going, save the completion photos when the Challenge is over, it may not ever go outside.  Arrrrgggg.

Here is the pile of sawdust we made just jointing 2 faces of each board. Might have to build a 1920’s version of an OSB plant next.

Tomorrow is a holiday at work so we have the day off and hope to get the wood milled down to usable lumber.  

This post was edited by Dan Hilyer at January 14, 2018 6:39 PM EST

• January 14, 2018 6:42 PM EST
      • Candlewood Valley, Connecticut

• Thanks

That was the easy part. Milling out the lumber took me half a day Saturday.  Nice piece of wood.

www.cvsry.com www.cvsry.com

• January 14, 2018 8:27 PM EST
      • Vail, Az

• Thanks

Yeah  that is nice wood, it should allow R.E. to reach his high caliber of work, that we are accustomed to seeing.

John

The older I get, the less I know, please don't make me prove it.

• January 14, 2018 10:50 PM EST
      • Farmington, New Mexico

• Thanks

Old ,, well aged, Yellow pine....  Whooooooo that must be hard to work with..  Tough stuff..

New Mexico­ Northern ­Railroad
      D&RGW ­315 Crew ­member, Fireman
      RRR #4
      Board Memb­er, Durang­o Railroad­ Historica­l Society

• January 15, 2018 11:06 PM EST
      • Waverly, Alabama

• Thanks

The WSRR crew got lumber milled today.  We cut 1x12’s, 2x8’s and 1x3’s.  The 1x12 will be used for exterior wall board with 1x3 battens.  We will use the 2x8’s to frame the roof.  We still need to cut 4x12's and 2x10's for floor beams and joists.  Will use 1x12's for flooring.  The chunk of wood on the left is what's left of my 53" allotment.

R.E. Mington and crew also managed to get starter boards on all the walls and some walls completely boarded up. 

Can anyone pick out the screw up in the photo above???

Doors were built minus hardware and trim.  Our resident inspector, Ken, looks over Mington’s boys work.

The technical crew has been busy producing clutter to place around the cookhouse.  More of that to come.

This post was edited by Dan Hilyer at January 15, 2018 11:07 PM EST

• January 15, 2018 11:13 PM EST
      • Pleasanton, CA

• Thanks

Nice work, Dan! I like the doors...

Forums Modeling Annual Build Challenge

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google