Large Scale Central

Bachman C-19 Circuit Information

Gathered from Stan Ames, Bachmann and my own circuit tracing. All images are Hi Res - Use browser’s View Image function for full size.

Schematic Diagram from Bachmann via Stan Ames…

From Bachmann - Tender Socket DCC Pin Assignment…

From Bachmann - Circuit Interconnects…

And finally, from the C.V.S.Ry Over Engineering Department - Tender Plug wire assignments…

Regarding Note 4 - This wire only has +5V if +5V is being supplied on the VDD Input (Note 1)

Thank you Jon any way of making this a sticky? so it doesn’t copied and posted some were else.

Richard

Bob can sticky it if he wants to, but in this forum (Reference) it doesn’t make much sense because most threads in this category contain similar type of information. Would’t keep anyone from copying and re-posting either. All except my plug pin-out is available elsewhere already.

Jon, would you kindly allow me to link this thread on my website “How To’s”? Proper credit will be noted.

Tony Walsham said:

Jon, would you kindly allow me to link this thread on my website “How To’s”? Proper credit will be noted.

Sure Tony. If you would rather have the original PDF of the pin-out I can email that to you. I can also remove the third column of how I am using the pins as that may not apply to your customers.

Thanks Jon.

I was intending to just put it up as a resource for others who might be interested.

Me, I never ever gut locos unless I really have to.

I use my own PnP pcb in the tender to take advantage of the existing wiring.

Whatever you prefer Tony.

Re gutting - I had a good install previously using the existing socket, but when upgrading the sound board I decided to upgrade the speaker and what I chose won’t fit with the stock electronics so it and the weight has to go.

I have updated my Tender Board Connector Pin-Out. I discovered a few dependencies once the board was out of the circuit. I believe version 3 (above and here) is now correct. I have also added some notes regarding the 5V supply required to use the chuff circuits and LEDs if the tender board is removed.

Regarding Note 4 - This wire only has +5V if +5V is being supplied on the VDD Input (Note 1)

Thanks Jon, started a page will enhance it shortly, probably an explanation of interfacing and powering the main board.

https://elmassian.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=739:c-19-wiring&catid=14&Itemid=1175

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Thanks Jon, started a page will enhance it shortly, probably an explanation of interfacing and powering the main board.

https://elmassian.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=739:c-19-wiring&catid=14&Itemid=1175

Greg

OK - Thanks for letting me know you are publishing it. Please replace the one you have with Ver. 3 above. The one you have is not correct. V3 fixes errors and adds some detail.

Done, thanks.

Greg

Thanks, Jon. These are great! You were correct–I didn’t have the wiring schematic when I tore into mine.

With regard to your question about which speaker, I’m doing an LGB mogul right now with one of these in the smokebox. Don’t laugh, but the steam dome off of a Bachmann Big Hauler makes a fantastic enclosure for it! It’s a 4-ohm speaker, so I’m pairing it in series with another 4-ohm speaker in the tender. I had a 2.5" Visaton speaker in there at first, but the Visaton drowned out the smokebox speaker. I switched to a 1 3/4" 4-ohm speaker that was in the tender from its original owner, built an enclosure from a plastic baby food container, and the combination of those two speakers sounds fantastic. I’ve got a Tsunami2 decoder in this loco, so I was able to adjust the EQ to really get the most (to my ears) out of these.

The TCS decoder I’ll be putting in my C-19 has two speaker outputs, so I’ll likely go with the 2" Visaton speakers I’ve used in some other projects. I’ll probably do the same thing as with the mogul–one speaker in the boiler, one in the tender.

Later,

K

On the speakers, you might be able to/want to use the lower profile FRS7’s, which while a 2.5" speaker, often will fit in less space.

Greg