Large Scale Central

South Pacific Coast 2-8-0

Hey guys I am in the process of modifying a Bachmann C-19 to look a much as like the SPC 13 as possible. This locomotive was sold fromthe South Pacific Coast RR to the Carson and Colorado Railroad in the early 1900’s. She had a few different livery outfits, the one that I have chosen seemed to be one of the most modern.

I have yet To build a wood tender load, still need to acquire some box headlights, and also need to install a more traditional road pilot in place of the switching pilot that the engine came with

Here is an awesome photo of the prototype

Untitled

here is where the locomotive is currently at, progress-wise

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Thanks for looking

Matt

Matt looks like fun. I used sage to make my wood load. It has a textured bark and is easier than wood to cut. I split it for the rough look.

Oh ya gotta love those old “hail hail the gang’s all here” photos (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

If only there were figures …

Looks great! Look forward to see it finished.

Excellent work! I’ve never seen that picture of the prototype, but I must say you capture it very well. Look forward to seeing the end result!

Thanks guys,

I just finished splitting 40 or so 1:20 scale logs… haha. I will work on getting that built up tomorrow.

I was also able to find a pilot and two box headlights, so those are ordered and within the week I should be able to get those installed

And by the sounds of things, I may need to find some figures to set up the “crew shot” once this little rebuild is complete.

Are you going to try and rework the crosshead?

Matt Z said:

Thanks guys,

I just finished splitting 40 or so 1:20 scale logs… haha. I will work on getting that built up tomorrow.

I was also able to find a pilot and two box headlights, so those are ordered and within the week I should be able to get those installed

And by the sounds of things, I may need to find some figures to set up the “crew shot” once this little rebuild is complete.

Here is your photo…

(https://largescalecentral.com/public/ynforum_attach/d8/37/02/233a3_5b8e.jpeg)

Matt, It looks good and I think you have captured the look very well! Like the others I can’t wait to see the finished loco. I have a similar bag of logs split for wood loads. I used small branches from Redwood trees for mine. The branches up to 1" diameter, have a small bark pattern that would scale out to look appropriate.

Steve

David Maynard said:

Hey Dave, I am going to leave the crosshead alone. It takes a keen eye to see that the prototype only had the one crosshead slide. And sometimes from what I’ve learned (the hard way) it’s better to leave this little engines in their happy mechanical state as they come from the factory ha ha…

Re: headlight.

I just bought a similar box oil headlight from Bachmann eStore - intended for the 4-4-0 but almost the same size.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4847

Matt Z said:

David Maynard said:

Hey Dave, I am going to leave the crosshead alone. It takes a keen eye to see that the prototype only had the one crosshead slide. And sometimes from what I’ve learned (the hard way) it’s better to leave this little engines in their happy mechanical state as they come from the factory ha ha…

Ha ha ha, yea, I know. And knowing that, is why I had to ask.

Pete, it is funny that you posted that, because that is exactly what I did! I also ordered up one of the pilots for the 4-4-0 to retrofit on to this engine.

Here she was today, wood load installed. The wife’s trusty hot glue gun came through for me!

Untitled

Hopefully in a couple of days the parts will be in, and I will go about getting them installed.

Take care!

Matt

Oh,

And I also redid the numbers on the side of the tender. I felt like they were a little too big in comparison to the prototype.

Untitled

Matt