Large Scale Central

Shay loco- a new dilemma

My wife has decided she needs her own locomotive (and cab). Of course, she saw a video of a real shay locomotive operating, and asks “Do they make those in G-scale?”

Oh, good.

Yes, they do.

Now, the curves on my current mainline are Piko R3 curves. Will the 3-truck shay run on them? Will the 2-truck shay run on them? If only the 2-truck will, where do I find a 2-truck shay that isn’t an early date plastic truck locomotive?

While I have never had my 3 truck shay on curves that tight, it will turn pretty tight. Pretty sure Bachmann claimed it would go down to a 4’ diameter curve. I have heard people say it is fine on 5’ diameter curves, but gets a little tight on 4’. With the R3 being slightly over 6’ diameter, I wouldn’t worry about it at all.

As far as 2 truck goes, stay away from anything labeled as a 36 ton shay as those were the early ones. Not sure if they changed to calling them 38 ton when the trucks were fixed, or if the fix came after the name change.

Chris

Chris Kieffer said:

While I have never had my 3 truck shay on curves that tight, it will turn pretty tight. Pretty sure Bachmann claimed it would go down to a 4’ diameter curve. I have heard people say it is fine on 5’ diameter curves, but gets a little tight on 4’. With the R3 being slightly over 6’ diameter, I wouldn’t worry about it at all.

As far as 2 truck goes, stay away from anything labeled as a 36 ton shay as those were the early ones. Not sure if they changed to calling them 38 ton when the trucks were fixed, or if the fix came after the name change.

Chris

My 55 Ton 3 truck Shay will go around my tightest curve of 1550mm (5Foot) diameter. It is fairly tight but I think it could round tighter curves.

Effectively it is 3x2 wheeled locos lashed together the wheel spacing is shorter than my LGB Stainz.

Thanks, all.

They will go LGB R1 curves, but sometimes the driveshaft pops out, so you may need to orient the shay in a particular direction.

You want a shay with the “metal” trucks, not the plastic ones, the plastic ones self-destruct, and new trucks are not cheap.

Page on 2 truck shay: https://elmassian.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70&Itemid=96

There’s a page on 3 truck also, MOTIVE POWER… BACHMANN… on my site.

Greg

An old friend of mine (89) is selling his B’Mann 2 truck Shay that has been converted to the new trucks. I believe he asking around $300. I could hook you up if you are interested.

I have the 2-truck and replaced the Power Trucks and it runs flawlessly. I purchased them in 12/2013 for $186.56 (shipping included) from Reindeer Pass. At the time they were the least expensive ones that I could find. The service from Reindeer Pass is excellent by the way.

Joe Zullo said:

An old friend of mine (89) is selling his B’Mann 2 truck Shay that has been converted to the new trucks. I believe he asking around $300. I could hook you up if you are interested.

It’s on the back burner right now. Getting the electric in our new house upgraded (including running power out to the layout area. Thanks, though.