Large Scale Central

Union Pacific SD40N - Teaser

Some teaser information on a upcoming project I have. I am going to retire my Shay from the travel circuit and build a couple of locomotives for that purpose. Since my RR is based on NG Logging, building travel locos gave me the chance to build a couple of SG Diesels. This project was intended to be a Winter 2017/2018 build, but watching Shane Stewart’s stuff and made me want to move it forward a bit. This project is still a 2nd class project as my first focus after the holidays and into the Spring / Summer is to get the mainline of my RR built.

Where and When I grew up there were 2 things when it came to railroads, Union Pacific and SD40-2s. I was happy to see the UP had started a rebuild program to give these great locos new life. Now designated SD40N, these will be the subject of my build. About a year ago I had a chance to pick up a couple of good used USA Trains SD40-2s for a great price. I plan to tear them down and rebuild them to include battery / rc power with sound. I am also going to do something I have wanted to do, and make these locomotives as accurate as I can. In this large scale, that will be easier to do, and the results will be far more visible.

I have picked 2 prototype locomotives for this build, each for a specific reason.

The first will be Union Pacific #1971. I chose this loco because 1971 is the year my wife and I were born. It also has a Winged Herald on the nose as well as a PTC antenna array.

The second will be Union Pacific #1588. I chose this locomotive primarily because it was one of the “Fast Forty” locomotives rebuilt with higher speed gearing to run with the DD40AX locos and in piggy back service. This loco features a simple shield on the nose vs. the winged shield on 1971. This loco also includes a ratchet style brake handle vs. the wheel on #1971

I will get into some more of the specifics on each locomotive, as well as the modifications to them in future posts.

Chris

Awesome. Looking forward to it. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Shane

Following Chris. I guess its time to start cranking out a detail wishlist…

Well Craig I have been working on the underside right now. I got the actual dimensions for the real EMD fuel tank and modeled it up. I’m going to 3D print a correct shape one since the USA Trains one isn’t even close. They get a little expensive, because I am going to make them the same thickness as the original so it is sturdy enough I can hold the loco by it. I have fuel tank mounts and drain bar ready also. Right now I’m working on the waste tanks that were added. The filler and gauge arrangement are different between the two prototypes, so that will make each one interesting.

Chris

Cool. Look forward to pictures. Now you are making me second guess the fuel tank on the GP30…

Here’s a couple of quick images of the CAD model of the fuel tank and it accessories. The shape of the tanks is FAR more accurate than the one USA Trains put on. I made mounts to represent how it mounts to the loco frame, but the fuel tank will still be mounted to the floor on the model. You can also see the drain bar and waste tank. Both prototype locos have the same style waste tank. All of these are separate parts from the tank itself. Right now the speaker and the sound card will go in the interior. I’m getting some HO detail parts to scale for the filler and gauges. One of the prototypes has the sight glass style gauge, while the other has the round one in the side of the tank.

Chris

That looks really good Chris.

Shane

Looking forward to another great build Chris!!

I actually tore one of them completely apart. Now I can take more measurements and get a better idea of the parts / improvements I need to make.

I’m a little early to the party Chris. I wanted to make sure I get a good seat. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Shane

After seeing Shane’s beauitful CN build and now this one I might have to seriously consider starting a locomotive build myself. I have been thinking of converting a MTH dash-8 into a 1/29 scale gen set locomotive. The MTH looks like a good starting point for this conversion . Sorry , i’m not trying to steal this thread , anyway I still have a couple of woodchip cars to finish.

Well Shane I am about to get started with making a list of mods for the frame / sill section of the locomotive. I bought a dip tank big enough and the wife commandeered it for the week, so I will have to start the paint stripping Sunday. So far, there are lots of things to cut off or change shape of.

Mike, that would be a cool loco to see you build.

mike dorsch said:

After seeing Shane’s beauitful CN build and now this one I might have to seriously consider starting a locomotive build myself. I have been thinking of converting a MTH dash-8 into a 1/29 scale gen set locomotive. The MTH looks like a good starting point for this conversion . Sorry , i’m not trying to steal this thread , anyway I still have a couple of woodchip cars to finish.

First issue I see, is the dash 8 has C trucks, and those are B trucks. But then I am not a diesel guy, so what do I know? (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

There is a 4 axle version of the dash 8 also. This would be a good one for a bash since it is Amtrak and would probably end up on the ground anyway. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)

The 4 axle Dash 8’s ride like crap. Trust,me I had 1 as a leader once. Bounced up and down like a roller coaster. Too much traction and not enough weight on the rails. The same problems are happening with BNSF new locos. They order 6 axle units but the middle axle is an idler. I can’t comment on those, but from what I hear they run just as bad, and have just as much traction problems as the Dash 8’s.

The main components ready to be stripped of paint so the bash can begin.

How’s the 3D design for the fuel tank going?

Chris Kieffer said:

There is a 4 axle version of the dash 8 also. This would be a good one for a bash since it is Amtrak and would probably end up on the ground anyway. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)

See, I asked what do I know. I didn’t know that there were 4 axle Dash 8s

And yea, it probably would end up in a ditch somewhere.

Craig,

I have the tank almost done. Need to adjust the mounts to match the USA Trains mounts. All that will be left after that is to make the filler and sight glass. The first unit I’m building doesn’t have the large gauge in the tank. After that it will be just plumbing for the waste tank.

I have a frame modeled up to laser. This will be the correct height and will be inset to a more prototypical location. I need to do some testing to see how it will react with the trucks. Also working on bolsters, jack pads and air tanks.

Chris

I’m also trying to figure out what the gizmo in the red circle in.