Large Scale Central

Locomotive Service Tower Build

Taking a short break from my depot to start a new project. My little RR is tired of using a bucket hoist to load coal into locomotives, so they decided to build a small tower. Since the RR is owned by a lumber outfit, it will be a low budget structure yet still an improvement overall. Overall construction will be wood of course, and I’m even going to make it do double duty and mount the sand tower to the structure. The sand tower will also be wood construction instead of the usual steel can.
Since my RR’s outside connection is limited, coal and sand will be brought in via dump truck.

The project will start with this little cedar building I bought a year ago. I am also doing something new on this one, and I’m going to build it without plans or drawings at all. (Except for what is needed to 3D print items) Just going to figure it out as I go, which should be fun and a challenge at the same time. First up is to sand the ribs off the roof and make 4 holes to run the large upright posts thru it.

Chris

Chris Kieffer said:

The project will start with this little cedar building I bought a year ago. I am also doing something new on this one, and I’m going to build it without plans or drawings at all. (Except for what is needed to 3D print items) Just going to figure it out as I go, which should be fun and a challenge at the same time.

Sounds like fun, go fir it!

Sounds good!

LTC’s crack pair of builders known as Hack and Wack have been hard at it. The large uprights are up and the control shed roofed. Going with a tarred plank roof on this to be different. Lower bracing is in as well as the hopper floor. The upper roof of the hopper is marked by the two outer beams. Once the hopper side boards are in place, I will remove the top scab boards and trim the large supports down. Tower will be around 28" tall when done, and the bin capacity will be enough for about 2 locos. Not a big tower, but since it is a logging RR and I only plan on about 5 steamers, it will work out just fine. Still better than the old bucket and shovel method.

Chris

Good start.

When I first saw your title, locomotive build popped out and I thought you were starting your SD40N.

Shane

Shane

The 40Ns were slated for a winter of 2017/2018 build. They are a side project to a side project behind getting my main line built. But every time I look at your stuff it makes me want to move them up in the list.

Chris

Really nice, Chris!

Well Chris I like your style of build. keep the pics coming so we can tell you are busy,

Dennis

Cliff Jennings said:

Really nice, Chris!

Chris who?

" Rooster " said:

Cliff Jennings said:

Really nice, Chris!

Chris who?

Don’t you worry about it! Walking Chicken Nugget! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

" Rooster " said:

Cliff Jennings said:

Really nice, Chris!

Chris who?

Some of us old farts from… uh, the other site… still call him “Uppy”. Such a cheerful moniker, very positive and happy. Or, come to think about it, maybe it refers to stimulants of some sort… huh. Hadn’t considered that. Regardless, I forget where where the nickname actually comes from. But it seems to fit.

Hey Uppy! Got yer back Dude!

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Cliff Jennings said:

Got yer back Dude!

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Suck up