Large Scale Central

ALCo RS-3m (RS-3u) 3d printed train

started with a basic frame

pilots started

basic frame together

plow on the front is a separate piece

Basic cab

Battery boxes, the back 2 were the basic ones I’ve used previously, the front two are the newest design which includes a diamond plate design on the finished surface

First attempt at the nose, it’s a little narrow (by 3mm) will fix on the next print

first long hood section done, needs a few tweaks, some of the louvers didn’t print, and i’m thinking about making the dynamic break box removable to cut down on supports required to print that piece

second long hood section done, had the same issue with louvers

3rd section on the long hood, figured out the issue with louvers

will print the last hood section overnight tonight

because of the issue with the louvers I’ve decided to go ahead and put this one together and print a complete second engine, with a little more detailing, like the diamond plate on the walkways of the basic frame, pilots, and the raised long hood walkway. even thinking about an interior for this one

I see that your crew used the gantry crane to set the hoods. Good thinking.

Dave, that’s why I built the crane :slight_smile:

started a second RS-3m

front pilot on the new one

started taping off the engines

starting to get some color

i hate painting btw

and some stripes

Looks nice, Mark… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

They look pretty good for someone who doesn’t like painting.

Finally got the dynamic brake box printed, has paint on it now but not in the pic

started stanchions

505 is almost done, need to make a list of what needs to be done tomorrow and wrap these up

last piece of the long hood is printed, still needs time in the paint shop

got the rest of the stanchions on, will start the handrails next, the last section of the long hood still needs to dry before decals can go on

Just designed the fan and it’s housing, need to wait for a printer to open up though as i’m already back onto another project, a Bombardier CR 4000

1/2 done, 6 more sections for the second half

Fan housing (fan was on printer when photo was taken)

time to start drawing up some uboats so this one can be replaced

That engine looks great and the colour scheme is cool.

I think you need to make a video of those engines this weekend and post it here for Independence day.

I plan on making a video on Tuesday running on the layout, if it’s not pouring like the past couple days/months, lol

Here’s a quick video of the build with more pictures of the completed project