Large Scale Central

Bachmann C-19 Axle Gear

Ok so this might be a long shot but does anyone have an axle gear for Bachmanns c-19, I’m trying to cobble together the gear train from the C-19 into a Connie and it looks like its possible with a little tweaking but I either need the axle gear or the dimensions to try and match one up from some other source (r/c cars use pinion gears that look close) Thanks everyone.

I’m trying to cobble together the gear train from the C-19 into a Connie

Could we ask what the final result will be? The Connie is already a 2-8-0, so we’re curious.

Phew - I’m just about to plunk down a bunch of cash on a new C-19 and for a second I thought; Oh no, here we go again with gear issues.

I can’t help, but I’m curious hat you are up to as well.

Not really changing the cosmetics of the Connie, but the C-19 seems to have a much more robust gear box and over the years I’ve stripped every gear in the thing at one point or another. It uses the same style of saddle around the axle gear as the Connie just missing the axle gear or an equivalent. It also lays down horizontal which will require a little trimming but no worse than what Barry’s Big trains gear box would require. Once I have the gear I’ll start taking some pictures of the surgery.

Peter,

Unfortunately the folks at Bachman do not sell the gearbox an the axle with the gear by themselves. to get the axle with gear you have to purchase the whole chassis, then the gearbox, and cover to the tune of about $801.15 I believe. cheaper just to buy a complete engine of eBay. if they were available at a reasonable price they would sell like hotcakes.

Al P.

Jon,

what version are you thinking of? the best prices I have seen are on ebay.

Al P.

Thats why I’m hoping someone can at least give me the dimensions and I can match something else up.

Peter,

Got thinking after I posted and remembered I have a C-19 torn down in my workshop to make into a different C class. pulled the gear and measured up. the best option to start with is a stock drive products P/N A 1B11-N32020 this is a 20 tooth 32 diametric pitch gear of brass. It will need to be machined to .159 thick (currently .187) the bore size is .1875 so that will probably need to be enlarged as well. you will probably need to sleeve the Connie shaft to match the gearbox. the C-19 design has plastic covers to fit into the gearbox as well.

good luck

Al P.

Now we’re talking. Thats the info I was looking for. Thank you kindly for measuring it up. The machining down and covers are the easy part.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)