Large Scale Central

East Broad Top Old #1 2-6-0 Progress

This is a really old Aster JNR 8550 Mogul kit that I bought and I’ve been working on it in my 4x4 closet workshop in Florida for about a year. The idea is to convert it to EBT #1, an old 2-6-0 that was resurrected to pull the boss’ Business Car, #20 “Orbisonia” around 1910.

This drawing shows the two locos side by side, and roughly at the same scale. The stack, domes and cab all need to be changed.

First of all, you have to put the kit together! That has been fun, especially as I decided it would be converted to butane as I have no alcohol locos. I’ve accumulated a few bits that will be the next part of the project.

In the summer, I used my big drill press in MD to raise the stack and add a Roundhouse copper cap. This Fall I worked on a Bronson-Tate Forney replacement cab kit to make it shorted and lower. I more-or-less finished the can this week and parked the loco out of the way next to my C-16 tender while I contemplated the next stage.

As you can see, in real life it is quite a small loco. The tender is small but still overwhelms it. I have another even smaller tender that came with the butane tank and I wondered whether it would work. There’s an ulterior motive here - some parts for the original Aster tender are missing, and using the 4-4-0 tender will save me having to fabricate the missing pieces. So a quick photoshop with a similar Bachmann tender, and here’s the result:

I will have to replace the front truck with the axledguard off the kit, but that shouldn’t be a problem. And I get a butane tank and valve without having to make something.

Whaddya guys think ?

Sweet! Excellent project. I was just eying one of these on E-bay last week that went for $500. I was very tempted. Had I known you could do this things may have been different. I saw it looked like it only has one powered cylinder. Is it a strong runner? How do the drivers and their spacing scale out? Really looking forward to watching this take shape. You’re off to a great start.

About the tender, if it looks as your last photo does, I’d say your in business.

I’ve always been intrigued by that single front axle on the tender. Makes it seem unique amongst many.

Ric Golding said:

I’ve always been intrigued by that single front axle on the tender. Makes it seem unique amongst many.

Yep. “Strange but true”. Kevin has one with the same arrangement. I just have to figure out the wheel sizes and how to attach the Aster pedestals.

Randy - the loco still has no power as I am waiting for a butane burner. It is single cylinder (though there was an official kit made to convert it to 2 cylinders.) It has been bench tested on air, and it only has to pull 1 coach, as you know. Just make sure you have ALL the parts if you buy one.

Pete that’s going to look good when done. I like the way it looks so far. Is that 1:24 scale?

Shawn Viggiano said:

Pete that’s going to look good when done. I like the way it looks so far. Is that 1:24 scale?

Shawn,

The original JNR loco was modelled in 1:26th scale, as they use a funny gauge. The cab is 1:20.3 and the finished loco will be 1:20.3. It’s going to need some larger, old-style domes when I find some that will work (without needing attachment from inside the boiler shell!)

Pete Thornton said:

Shawn Viggiano said:

Shawn,

The original JNR loco was modelled in 1:26th scale, as they use a funny gauge. The cab is 1:20.3 and the finished loco will be 1:20.3. It’s going to need some larger, old-style domes when I find some that will work (without needing attachment from inside the boiler shell!)

Would never have thought 1:26th. That will look good as a 1:20th. I might have to keep my eyes open for one of those kits.

Very cool Pete

Next week we head back to MD to fetch the other car to FL. I’m fetching the Accucraft tender and a Regner gas burner. Hopefully I can make it fit.

Latest pic - the cab is painted and fitted, along with a new stack and wood running boards. The tender is from a small Accucraft loco - it’s a bit small but has a gas tank and valve fitted, plus trucks, so I can live with it.’

The tender has an unusual 6 wheel arrangement which meant I had to combine two frames to make it work. It still needs the tender floor shortening and the frame bolting to the tank. But there is light at the end of the tunnel . .