Large Scale Central

LGB track cleaning loco.

I got this unit for a great price.

I have used them/borrowed several times , so when I saw this I couldn’t pass it up.

I like how you can control the speed of the engine, from creeping to a good speed, depends on how dirty the track.

This shows how nice it does it’s job.

Some fine tuning helped it!

I had a thought …(shut up Rooster)

Nope … the blower pushes back towards the engine to much …

Nice unit

Works very well

I’ve got one, as well. They are awesome. Especially, when you need to clean track for the first time in the spring- after fall leaf litter and winter snow. Great piece of MOW!

-Kevin.

Did you add separate speed control for the cleaner wheels?

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Did you add separate speed control for the cleaner wheels?

Greg

The cleaning wheels are governed by the track power speed, however you can change the engine travel speed.

This is non DCC old school.

Ahh, thought the TE lying on it was indicating you might have it under remote control.

They work best with full power to the cleaning wheels at all times, and then you vary the track speed, and that allows you to set the “Cleaning power”… I had one and it did a great job as long as I kept the cleaning wheels and flanges in good shape.

Greg

John Miller has run his on my layout. He only runs it slow. I guess that is because my track is so dirty!

Greg Elmassian said: Ahh, thought the TE lying on it was indicating you might have it under remote control.

(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)…I wanted to see how it would work with some weight over the cleaning wheels

Any problem buying and replacing the cleaning wheels? If purchased, what life span do I anticipate of those wheels? Cost?

Thanks.

Normally people are very unsuccessful adding weight to the “cleaning” part… most often the result is a burned out motor, and often it melts plastic around it.

It’s perfectly weighted as it comes… run it slow, and again that is why they have a speed control knob on top…

If it bounces then you need to true the cleaning wheels or replace them.

Lots of years of experience with this loco and reading other’s experiences.

Greg

Greg Elmassian said: If it bounces then you need to true the cleaning wheels or replace them.

Do tell?

Wendell Hanks said: Any problem buying and replacing the cleaning wheels?

Not when Your buddy works for Train-li

Wendell Hanks said: Any problem buying and replacing the cleaning wheels? " Not when Your buddy works for Train-li

Sean-

This cleaning loco absolutely depends on getting the cleaning mechanisms (abrasive wheels?) to make any purchase justified — especially considering this cleaning loco is no longer made and offered by Marklin so likely there are no cleaning replacements.

Therefore, not to be rude, I see three possibilities from your post, if I, or others, were to buy one and knew where to replace the cleaning mechanisms –

1 - Train-Li has some for sale @ X cost per__.

2 - Train-Li has some for employees

3 - Train-Li is the singular source.

Thanks,

Wendell

Many people carry the replacement abrasive wheels and flanges (they wear too). I’ve often seen them at shows, in shops, etc.

I would not be concerned.

Greg

p.s. the track cleaning loco is in the current Marklin/LGB catalog, number 21670 … who said it is no longer made?

In stock here: http://www.onlytrains.com/model/trains/21670.html

On amazon: https://www.amazon.com/LGB-Scale-Track-Cleaning-Locomotive/dp/B001BV6CSQ

I have the DCC version and I use it often, every spring and after a few weeks of rain. I also take it once a year when the local club has a large layout at an event where most of the track is being used to get as much of the track cleaned. I usually let it make about three passes at slow speed.

I saw many vendors at York last year with packages of replacement wheels.

“… the track cleaning loco is in the current Marklin/LGB catalog, number 21670 … who said it is no longer made? …”

Bought this unit MNIB at ST’16.

Glad to hear when our unit finally powers up (in one piece) on the railheads, it will perform !!

! 'short ’ story/novel ? :slight_smile: . . . . .

After getting back from a spring road trip right after St’16, I finally unpacked the marklin p/n 21670 (nice bright orange red)

When I unwrapped my unit that day to run outdoors I did actually hear a faint rattle and just thought it was a moving portion of the front ‘cleaning’ motor/action. Noticed rain had started, so headed down to the indoor layout with it back in its styro’, but when I set it down on my indoor layout track the front end detached from the back main cab section. Only held together by the wiring cable. Thought at first it was just a simple unattached coupler problem, ALAS when I moved the two sections further apart found (p/n E132046 - drehpunktauflage :wink: ) had broken down into at least 4 pieces with screws and washers still attached to a couple.

I spent sometime on the workbench carefully disassembling to access/remove the defective part.

*The factory must have a special wrench to access the cowling screws as application of a screwdriver is not direct which means careful removal to prevent stripping the head with conventional 'driver.
And then very carefully wiggling to relieve a still very tight pressure-fitted cowling from the main body of the loco.
Need to remove cowling, to access the screw head position at top of pedestal and mounting screws either side (when part is in original design shape).
Similiar to what needs to be done with new cars these days (ex. remove a engine w/specialty tools to access one separate hidden unattached part).

Called the regional reseller within the hour He said he was placing a order with them at end of week. Will be about 3 wks. Interim used the marklin online contact form to ask if there is a history of this part failing as it looked to be a defective resin mold pour… Did not hear from our regional reseller so emailed them, actually responded with sorry nothing done will initiate. I figured that I’ve heard this before , so subsequently used the Marklin email address option asking if part available, which initiated a response in less than 24hrs by a very exceptional CSR presumed manning a desk in Germany. First contact jun 13th, decided I would pay for 2 packages (concerned it was resin failure and did not want to have to reach out again, asking how much and btw here are pics of the defective parts) She responded a couple days later they would be sending 2 packages for free. Shpg dept finally sent on CanadaDay received a week later (while I was out of town) small parcel in mailbox via DHL, containing the requested 2 packages which surprisingly contain two pieces … so I’m set for my usage lifespan :slight_smile: Oh neither CanadaCustoms nor Canada Post, stuck out their sticky fingers for a handling fee nor gst ! They must have seen via xray that it was replacement parts ! And amazed at how fast this package arrived in western Canada mailbox from Germany (items from the usoa, avg. 20 days !)

Alas, since I’ve had other projects to work on this summer, have not sat down yet to fit things back together, … and clean track for the first time with this 21670 !

And still never heard of any followup from our previously terrific regional reseller ! Will be reaching out to him, when I’m in an appropriate mood :wink:

Planning ahead in addition to the main unit purchased 2 packages of the replacement tires, (Massoth p/n 8314102, $24cdn), from the regional reseller.

BTW pre and post purchase research involved googling for info on the product no mention ever seen of any other unit having this type of problem. Although I had come across a vid’ which i thought showed a unit running w/o the cowling in place. Surprisingly, can’t find that vid’ post-purchase to ask them if they had similiar occurence of ‘uncoupling’.

doug c

p.s.

Tip: Use the marklin service email address !

don’t fill out marklins online contact form as it took over 3 weeks for a response to my first query — if there was any history of defective units, from another marklin csr and wondering if covered by warranty !? I have not responded back (as the first successful marklin contact was still in process) yet to that late response person … but plan to with the good news that another csr (another office ?) responded in the positive more quickly :slight_smile:

_another tip: this ex. part has 3 diff. p/n, the one in the manual/parts listing, is the one Marklin actually uses !

My guess is both Sean, Dieseldude , and Mark, have the earlier - pre-Markin - LGB track cleaning locos.

Is this accurate?

If that is the case, I am interested, as others who are considering purchase, whether Doug Cannon’s Marklin LGB foibles are a fluke or a product defect. His post reporting the problem is directly above this one.

Doug: Please ask your cooperative reseller IF there is evidence of other product failures with the Marklin production of this loco? Or any other locos for that matter.

Thanks,

Wendell

Wendell (others)

If you are not happy with the products offered “always trying to find the flaws” then why don’t you mass produce your own line and offer it to the masses for review ?

ONE wonders why Large scale is dying?

Thoughts and reviews on those thoughts?

Nice buy Sean

Wendell, it sounds like poor customer services, nothing to do with design. I also find it hard to believe that the product is any different now that Marklin owns LGB.

This product has been made for years, and it works well, and it wears out the wheels and requires maintenance. Don’t modify it and abuse it and it will give you years of service.

There’s plenty of information out there on the Internet. Many people like it. The people who have had bad experiences either don’t understand it’s power requirements or the importance of keeping the wheels true.

Greg

Wendell Hanks said:

My guess is both Sean, Dieseldude , and Mark, have the earlier - pre-Markin - LGB track cleaning locos.

Is this accurate?

If that is the case, I am interested, as others who are considering purchase, whether Doug Cannon’s Marklin LGB foibles are a fluke or a product defect. His post reporting the problem is directly above this one.

Doug: Please ask your cooperative reseller IF there is evidence of other product failures with the Marklin production of this loco? Or any other locos for that matter.

Thanks,

Wendell

Wendell;

My regional (“cooperative” ?) reseller indicated twice he would be looking into acquiring the part promptly. Neither time has he followed thru !!

It WAS the Marklin CSR (via their service email addy) that did the ‘heavy lifting’ and successfully acquired approval/sent the replacement part for my unit at no $ cost (warranty coverage !?) to me, … the unit which I coincidentally reassembled yesterday p.m.

The long-overdue response from Marklin (utilizing their web service contact form) by another CSR; “…the model 21670 from LGB is not a negative in our error statistics. Therefore, we assume that the problem of your model is an isolated case. So please send it for a check to: Gebr. Märklin & Cie GmbH Reparaturservice …”.

That was MY first attempt of contact and included primary question to them was, “ Sooooo this is more a FYI and question to you if there were any other “made in hungary” parts failures reported in the last 3 (?) years ! thanks for your time, …

Of course there was no way I was going to spend probably $100 (?) to ship the unit to Germany. But with the photos of the failed part and explanation, the successful (email addy) contact came thru’.

Also the replacement parts look exactly the same, and have the same lgb part number (2067/19) embossed on it. Either from a (original nurnberg era) ‘parts’ stockpile or made (hungary?) since Marklin took over !

Since I could not find nor have heard of any others failures, I tend to think that this unit was possibly ‘bent’ the wrong way sometime/somewhere previous to my acquisition.

This MOW loco does tend to require a two-handed lift, similiar to lifting a steamer and tender lashup !

doug c

p.s. “…ONE wonders why Large scale is dying?..” IMHO, not as implied but I think it is the summation of = a lot of the people who were into LS are just retiring/change of lifestyle + others who were just doing the fad/trendy/like-the-jones thing !!