Large Scale Central

ALCo Century 415

Started the first print this last Friday night (cab section overnight while I was sleeping)

Looking in great. Keep up the good work. Hope to see it soon as a kit. Will it have its own frame or will it need a donor?

frame is 100% 3d printed, if your on facebook at all the build thread is on my personal page

https://www.facebook.com/madtrains/

Its an off center cab locomotive. Cool.

Hey who are you calling off center??

lol

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Well, the cab isn’t in the center, so I can’t call it a center cab. But the short hood isn’t as short as most of them thangs. So its sort of a center cab diesel, but not quite. So, its an “Off Center Cab” diesel.

Nicely done model, Mark…

The 415 series has always been one of my favorites due to it’s distinctive appearance. While I’m not a modern era modeler I would be interested in acquiring one of these as if I need yet another project. When it’s ready for prime time please let us know. I don’t do Farcebook !

Gary Buchanan, FOG said:

The 415 series has always been one of my favorites due to it’s distinctive appearance. While I’m not a modern era modeler I would be interested in acquiring one of these as if I need yet another project. When it’s ready for prime time please let us know. I don’t do Farcebook !

I knew it!

Gary has a diesel fetish!

This post has been edited by Rooster :

Finally got the red stripe on

Love the paint scheme!

It’s so “pure” but after years of over use it can become incredibly filthy if not taken care of!

Are you going to do the thin black stripe, between the red stripe and white?

And the lettering should be italicized, and the box around the “ALCO” should…

Nice job.

Whats a rivet? Why should we count them?

Rivet

A rivet is a permanent mechanical fastener. Before being installed, a rivet consists of a smooth cylindrical shaft with a head on one end. The end opposite the head is called the tail. On installation the rivet is placed in a punched or drilled hole, and the tail is upset, or bucked (i.e., deformed), so that it expands to about 1.5 times the original shaft diameter, holding the rivet in place.

I dunno why some people are obsessed with counting them, but I guess everyone needs a hobby.

Okay, maybe this is a little on the odd side of things: though the C-415 wasn’t a fast locomotive something about the cab location gives it, to me, sort of a ‘hot rod’ look when running long-er hood forward. Even after several decades I can’t define why that is so, it just is.

They had several options for cab height and it is not the tall cab ones which look that way to me.

I like the Rock Island but not that livery; http://www.railpictures.net/photo/53335/ One of these could look pretty spiffy in the black and red with white trim and silver trucks “Rocket Freight” livery.
Pretty much anything would look classy in Southern Railway’s black and imitation aluminum with gold lettering and trim.

And that demonstrator paint scheme came out looking nice, too.

David Maynard said:

Rivet

A rivet is a permanent mechanical fastener. Before being installed, a rivet consists of a smooth cylindrical shaft with a head on one end. The end opposite the head is called the tail. On installation the rivet is placed in a punched or drilled hole, and the tail is upset, or bucked (i.e., deformed), so that it expands to about 1.5 times the original shaft diameter, holding the rivet in place.

I dunno why some people are obsessed with counting them, but I guess everyone needs a hobby.

Mark, check your messages !

Checked and replied, have been in West Virginia since Wednesday with some Boy Scouts at the Summit Bechtel Scout Camp

I’m thinking Gary is running your way Mark! I see money waving in his right hand while screaming “wait,wait”!! Did I mention tripping over everything in his path?