Large Scale Central

Users: New version Aristo 0-4-0?

Regarding the latest Garden Railways ad for the newest Aristo 0-4-0, has anyone used this stated improved model? My experience is only with one purchased six+years ago and there were problems with the plating deteriorating on the drive wheels resulting in poor electrical pick-up and constant cleaning. As with any purchase, how can the buyer determine if they are buying the “latest” or “improved” model. I may have gotten an “older” model - it had a yellow box.

Anyone tested one for ease of use?

The new one has a socket in the tender under the coal load.

The motor block is different: (new style)

The news ones are tons better, and make use of the Aristo "Prime Mover’ gearboxes, the old one is like this opened:

Greg-

Thanks for the photos. Definitely a newer unit.

Any opinion as to the newer gear box having plated wheels that don’t corrode or erode quickly as did the older model? Runability good? I weigh the PIKO vs. this one.

Wheels seem better, but they look a bit different from the typical plating on the steamers.

I’ll call my buddy and ask him how the new wheels have fared.

I would wager the Piko will have better power pickup, but the Aristo gearboxes are indeed tougher.

Greg

Every Aristo 0-4-0 I work on gets a power connection between the engine and tender. Hugh difference in running on track power.

Dan, have you looked at the newer unit?

The socket is in the tender, thus there is a power connection already between the 2, power pickup, motor, and headlight, 6 pins I believe.

You can see the black ribbon cable and the white connector at the tender in the picture below:

Greg