Forums Modeling Other Scales
  • Topic: 1:10 15" min gauge?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 25, 2015 12:30 AM EDT
      • Post Falls, Idaho

• Thanks

1:10 15" min gauge?

Does anyone mess with 1:10 scale? I mean that's twice the size of F. It would represent 15" minimum guage on 45mm track. The stuff would be huge and take up a bunch of space but you could make some killer detailed backwoods logging or mining RR. I am thinking Eric's style on stetoids.

• September 25, 2015 8:06 AM EDT
      • Phippsburg, Maine

• Thanks

You could have all kinds of fun with that kind of thinking! Perhaps a little mining tram,  or a park Train... Could even double the scale for Ride on 7 1/2" gauge... Use real coffee in the engineer's cup. 

The seven eighth scale forum has several people with similar ideas and some very cool modeling www.7-8ths.info 

• September 25, 2015 12:08 PM EDT
      • Fort Myers Beach & Annapolis, Florida & Maryland

• Thanks

Well, there already is a Gn15 branch of the hobby, but it is defined thus "Gn15 is G scale trains (1:22) on HO scale track (16.5mm)."

15" gauge is known as a "miniature" or "estate" railroad.  The best known is the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch which is a scaled down miniature railway.  It is also considered the "minimum gauge" for a 'real' railway.  "Grand Scales" is another description of ride-on model railroads larger than 7 1/4" gauge.  http://www.grandscales.com/faq/faq.html.

So a 15" gauge railway might be a scale model, with current Gauge 1 or 1/29th loco models, bigger people and different coaches:

Or it might be a working narrow-gauge railway, with scaled-up existing 7/8n2 models:

What's your choice?

This post was edited by Pete Thornton at September 25, 2015 12:10 PM EDT

Pete

• September 25, 2015 12:54 PM EDT
      • Post Falls, Idaho

• Thanks

That's just it the possibilities are endless. For where my mind was taking me was a 'real' 15" gauge RR on 45mm track. So I am thinking small industrial locos or a backwoods logger, like Eric said a mine tram (I was actually thinking an air loco). What about a scale model of a miniature RR. Now I can't seem to work out the math... but if there is a scale miniature RR that uses 7 1/4 or 7 1/2 " gauge track then 45mm track would be 1:5 (is this where you were gong Eric or Pete) scale of that miniature RR. So it would be a model of a miniature.

Yeah this is dangerous ground. Its the opposite of where my mind wandered in the past. I was thinking keeping 1:20.3 and changing track to make various gauges using smaller track like Gn15/1:22 (O,S, HO, N, Z) And like has already been done with 45mm track by changing scale. But now we are taking it to the absurd by increasing scale beyond even 7/8ths.

I really need to stop this.

• September 25, 2015 12:59 PM EDT
      • Post Falls, Idaho

• Thanks

Eric Schade said:

You could have all kinds of fun with that kind of thinking! Perhaps a little mining tram,  or a park Train... Could even double the scale for Ride on 7 1/2" gauge... Use real coffee in the engineer's cup. 

The seven eighth scale forum has several people with similar ideas and some very cool modeling www.7-8ths.info 

OK so after looking at that website I can see that there are already nut jobs out there that are thinking this stuff up... Others share my warped mind.

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google