Large Scale Central

1:10 15" min gauge?

Does anyone mess with 1:10 scale? I mean that’s twice the size of F. It would represent 15" minimum guage on 45mm track. The stuff would be huge and take up a bunch of space but you could make some killer detailed backwoods logging or mining RR. I am thinking Eric’s style on stetoids.

You could have all kinds of fun with that kind of thinking! Perhaps a little mining tram, or a park Train… Could even double the scale for Ride on 7 1/2" gauge… Use real coffee in the engineer’s cup.

The seven eighth scale forum has several people with similar ideas and some very cool modeling www.7-8ths.info

Well, there already is a Gn15 branch of the hobby, but it is defined thus “Gn15 is G scale trains (1:22) on HO scale track (16.5mm).”

15" gauge is known as a “miniature” or “estate” railroad. The best known is the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch which is a scaled down miniature railway. It is also considered the “minimum gauge” for a ‘real’ railway. “Grand Scales” is another description of ride-on model railroads larger than 7 1/4" gauge. http://www.grandscales.com/faq/faq.html.

So a 15" gauge railway might be a scale model, with current Gauge 1 or 1/29th loco models, bigger people and different coaches:

Or it might be a working narrow-gauge railway, with scaled-up existing 7/8n2 models:

What’s your choice?

That’s just it the possibilities are endless. For where my mind was taking me was a ‘real’ 15" gauge RR on 45mm track. So I am thinking small industrial locos or a backwoods logger, like Eric said a mine tram (I was actually thinking an air loco). What about a scale model of a miniature RR. Now I can’t seem to work out the math… but if there is a scale miniature RR that uses 7 1/4 or 7 1/2 " gauge track then 45mm track would be 1:5 (is this where you were gong Eric or Pete) scale of that miniature RR. So it would be a model of a miniature.

Yeah this is dangerous ground. Its the opposite of where my mind wandered in the past. I was thinking keeping 1:20.3 and changing track to make various gauges using smaller track like Gn15/1:22 (O,S, HO, N, Z) And like has already been done with 45mm track by changing scale. But now we are taking it to the absurd by increasing scale beyond even 7/8ths.

I really need to stop this.

Eric Schade said:

You could have all kinds of fun with that kind of thinking! Perhaps a little mining tram, or a park Train… Could even double the scale for Ride on 7 1/2" gauge… Use real coffee in the engineer’s cup.

The seven eighth scale forum has several people with similar ideas and some very cool modeling www.7-8ths.info

OK so after looking at that website I can see that there are already nut jobs out there that are thinking this stuff up… Others share my warped mind.