Large Scale Central

Pinewood Derby Question

I am attempting to build a pinewood derby car in the spirit of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and wanted to get some ideas for making the fenders. If any of you modeling experts have any ideas on how to create curved fenders I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks,

Richard

Sheet metal to keep them light weight.The flare beside the cowling holds their shape. Fold the edge and pop rivit together.

John

Richard Richard Richard,

One of my favorite parts of being a cub scout leader for 5 years was pinewood derby. To encourage the adults to let the scouts build their own cars we had an almost mandatory adult division. I love pinewood derby cars. I wish I had the pictures of my previous cars but they were lost in a computer crash. My pride and joy was a box rule legal daytona prototype. I digress, to accomplish fenders such as those it is easy with a bandsaw, scroll saw, or even a coping saw. The thing with pinwood derby is that generally they are “open wheel”. So you have to add to the block of wood. I like cedar for this but pine or fir works also (read generic 2X4). Take said 2X4 and cut it to the same lenght as the block. Then rip it so its width is the same as the height of the block. I should mention here that the straighter the grain the better closer to 1/4 sawn is better than center cut. If you aren’t a wood worker this means the grain runs straight in any one direction as opposed to curving. Now orient your new block so that it lines up with your derby block o it length and height match. Mark the location of the axel groove. Trace the diameter of the wheel. With that marked out you can now trace out your fender/running board so that the fenders are spaced right and the fenders will clear the wheels. Cut it out with bandsaw/scroll saw/coping saw. Then take that piece and rip it in half. This will give you two matching fenders/running boards. Glue them to your block and then file and sand to a final shape. There you have it. Depending on your rules the fenders can not be wider than the wheels. We had a box rule meaning that it had to fit in a box that was the dimensions in the included rules.

It is hard to describe in writing without pitures. If you need further clarifiation ask and I will gladely walk you through any step and even take pictures if need be.

Did mention I love Pinewood derby.

John and Devon - thanks for the replies…and Devon, I love the Pinewood Derby also!! I help my son on the hard stuff with his car but as he gets a little older he gains more responsibility. His theme this year is Mine Craft. I’ll be guiding him as he paints little green squares.

We’ve had so much fun with different themes…his Titanic ship-as bulky as it was, was quite fast and even won. We’ve also done the Minions from the Despicable Me movies. They turned out great!

I appreciate each of your suggestions and will try to post pics when we are finished.

Thanks,

Richard

The son of one of my friends back East was building one the one year. For that project we were “refining” a few things with materials and tools in my shop. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)Of course strictly within the rules. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

The son of one of my friends back East was building one the one year. For that project we were “refining” a few things with materials and tools in my shop. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)Of course strictly within the rules. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

The problem is the rules. My son’s pack ran the district meet as we had the only four lane track. Problem is different packs use idfferent rules. Some allow the axels to be moved forward or backward, some allowed modification to the wheels and axels ect. We had very strict rules. Each block was purchased by the pack and certified with a brand before being issued with a certificate of authenticty. The only modifications to the wheels and axels were minimal sanding to make them true and balanced. the axels could only be sanded to remove the moldling line in the nail. no rounding of wheels or significant size reduction, and no grooving the axels was allowed. The axel grooves had to be in the stock location. Wood could be added or removed at will as long as the car dimensions remained no bigger than what the boxed instructions would allow for. the wheels had to be no narrower or wider.

We wanted to keep it as simple for the kids as possible and discourage dads (and moms) from taking over or from buying hyped up parts.

Well Devon, I took your advice and used my band saw to cut fenders. I bought another derby kit and sacrificed the block of wood for the cause. All in all I’m really pleased with the results. Of course I can’t paint straight lines to save my life but I’m having fun with all of it.

I haven’t posted any pics yet because time has been of the essence due to race day being tomorrow…but I will after the event.

Richard

I am on the edge of my seat…Have fun tomorrow.

Here are some pictures of the birth of Derby Car Chitty Chitty Bang Bang…

Richard

Well…let’s try that again…

Try again. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif)

Unfortunately I thought it would be quick and easy to post a picture…but I guess not and I couldn’t keep working on it at the time…but this time it seems to work…must have just been the moment.

Richard

Fenders look great glad I could help you out. Did you and your son have fun.

Devon

Devon, we both had a great time!! We also both came in dead last in our division…but its not always about winning…father and son had fun working together. And yes!! Thanks for your suggestion on the fenders.

Richard

Richard Mynderup said:

Devon, we both had a great time!! We also both came in dead last in our division…but its not always about winning…father and son had fun working together. And yes!! Thanks for your suggestion on the fenders.

Richard

Richard,

As proud of my cars as I was I never did well in racing. My son’s cars always beat me. One year he left the block exactly as it came and painted it yellow and wrote butter on the side. It whooped my cars butt, in fact that year he won and took third at districts. Dang Kids.

Father son time that is what it was all about. Glad you guys enjoyed it.

Man I loved building those with my son also, rule was he did whatever he wanted to the car but I would help with the wheels and weights, power tools in kids hands a no no.

Did not matter what he did to the car I knew the secret to make the cars go fast, he won trophy after trophy, heck he won once by hardly doing anything to the car.

Taught him the trick and he did his last car and he won that also.

It is all in the wheels, make them straight and have the weight close and you should have no problems, to get the wheels straight you need to put it on the floor and roll the car to make sure it goes straight, pulls to one side straighten wheel till it goes straight, going down the track straight wins every time, watch the other cars hit the middle all the time, wheels aint straight and slows down car.

Man that brings back so many memories.

Tom H