Large Scale Central

A little turning project

OK so I should be working on my MIK project, but I got a new toy in the mail. I got a new live center for my Shopsmith lathe. So naturally I had to chuck up a piece of wood and set about turning. Now I turned a candle stick back in high school shop class in around 87 or so. That is the one and only thing I had turned until I got my shop smith. I then turned the steam and sand domes for my loco build and the wheels for my MIK project. For the domes I only had my dead center and it melted the plastic. So I knew I would need a live center to turn plastic and wood for that matter. A bearing has to be better than friction.

So I had a little block of soft maple (western maple) that I had set aside out a piece I got from a friend for another project that I made some cabriolet legs out of. I chucked it up and turned out this incense holder n about two hours.

It is sitting on a mayo jar for size reference. It is about an 1" to 1 1/2" in diameter and about 3" - 4" long. I think it came out ok for basically the first piece of wood I have turned in thirty years. It will hold either the long stick or a cone type incense thing. My daughter loves stinky stuff and making incense holders gives me practice for my wood working.

Anyways, thats what I did tonight instead of what I should be doing.

Well done Devon!

Lathes are great fun!

Thanks,
It was fun