Large Scale Central

The Shepherd

One of my other hobbies is restoration of WWII aircraft at Vintage Wings Canada. Each year at this time they send out the story of The Shepherd which is a favourite of mine from childhood, my father served in the RCAF and I first remember listening to this story with him. Still gives me the chills, thats why you need a single malt to go with it. This link is the story posted on you tube, I know its not train related but still worth the listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2_bLEqmBi0&list=RDj2_bLEqmBi0#t=30
Here’s the story behind it;
http://www.vintagewings.ca/Home/tabid/40/language/en-CA/Default.aspx

Steve,

That one gives me chills, too. Especially when Fireside Al reads it.

Its better to be down, wishing that you were up, than up, wishing you were down. Old pilot’s adage.

I read this many years ago, in childhood, and it still makes me all quiet. Lots of Shute’s stuff has a touch of the superatural in it, hence he is one of my favourite authors of all time.

Living in the middle of what was once called the largest aircraft carrier on earth - East Anglia - there are any number of stories about haunted airfields. There are forty in just OUR county alone, after all.

Twinwood, just down the road from us, has a very spooky history, being the airfield from which the late Glenn Miller took off on his fateful trip. The site, now an aviation museum, has a website in which stories of inexplicable events are noted.

And just over a mile way lies Alconbury Airfield, once home to a huge number of US airplanes, and many ‘memories left in the ether’, I’m sure.

Read the book ‘Haunted Airfileds of East Anglia’ to get a feel of it all.

tac

TAC,

Have goosebumps from that story. Beautiful Christmas story…Happy Christmas as you say over there and a Very Merry Christmas from over here.

Noel

Alert to those who listen to CBC Radio 1.

Wednesday 2014/12/24 18:30 local times “As It Happens will re-broadcast The Shepherd read by Fireside Al”.

Nice Christmas story. Thank you

Steve Featherkile said:

Its better to be down, wishing that you were up, than up, wishing you were down. Old pilot’s adage.

Another one…Blue UP - brown DOWN.

Apologies for TD.

tac

“Try to fly in the middle of the air. The edges are filled with mountains and oceans and rocks and it’s much harder to fly there.”

“Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing. If you can reuse the plane, so much the better”…:wink: