Large Scale Central

How about a book review ?

I have just received my order for WDLR ALBUM from RCL Publications .

War Department Light Railways , excellent book well researched by its compiler Roy C Link .

Hard bound , 256 pages , over 210 photos , 12 Modellers’ scale drawings , 71 other drawings , diagrams , maps and plans .

Though it claims to be about 60cm British Rail at The Front , Baldwins in British service figure in it quite often .

The photos are well chosen , nicely printed and presented .

I got mine , you may like to get one , especially if you like trains in their near basic state .

I have only looked at the pictures and not read it yet , but it’s worth it for the pictures alone .

Not a blood and gore book , but it does give an impression of how things were .

Mike

ps Google “Greystar Publications” to see what’s available

Thanks, Mike.

That’s OK John ; you may be interested to know there is a picture of the Canadian NG rail to Vimy Ridge .

Canada won that battle , brilliantly . Caught the opposition out by assembling via a cave system where they couldn’t be seen , so surprise was complete .

I’ve been there a few times ; very sad seeing all the crosses in the Cemeteries , and they are still finding remains ; 11 Brits were buried only today , some of whom were identified after all this time .

I also note with regret the murder of a Canadian Soldier at Home today by the usual suspects . God Rest .

Mike

TWO Canadian soldiers.

RIP Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent and Cpl Nathan Cirillo.

The ‘suspect’ was shot dead by around thirty bullets in the Halls of the House of Parliament by a bunch of brave men led by the Sergeant at Arms, Kevin Vickers, late of the RCMP.

tac

A fitting end for a BARBARIAN! It is tragic that young reservist had to die! We need to always be vigilant as to the enemy!

Paul

I wonder if The Old Guard is still unloaded?

Here in yUK the Guard at Buckingham Palace DO have loaded magazines.

Guarding the life of a person takes precedence over a memorial, even one that commemorates the Unknown Dead, but IMO ALL military guards should be routinely armed.

Who do YOU trust? If you cannot trust a Canadian, American or British soldier…

That POS would have been crow food inside five seconds if he tried it here in UK, that I know.

tac
OVGRS

Yes tac , they only seem to have the guts to try to behead a British Soldier who was alone , unarmed ,

and even then had to disable him with their car before trying to behead him .

To add to their shame , a rather brave lady stopped them .

Mike

Thanks guys. Our nation weeps.

Yes John , we’re with you there .

Mike

The background to the Honour Guard at the “Tomb of the Unknown Soldier”:

quoted from the Ottawa Citizen

The armed forces have served as sentries at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier during July and August since 2007 — a year after three young men were photographed urinating at the monument on Canada Day and caused a national outcry — especially from veterans groups.

Outrage heightened when the Citizen published a front-page photograph of the incident, and it moved then newly minted Prime Minister Stephen Harper to phone an area radio station.

“Obviously, it’s a terrible thing to do,” said Harper. “Certainly, my impression is that doesn’t represent in any way the views of any segment of Canadian society.”

Those skateboarding and pulling bicycle wheelies in and around the monument also contributed to the decision to have a greater military presence at the site and to re-enforce the message that the site was to be treated with dignity rather than as a public playground.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/war-memorial-guard-program-is-designed-for-dignity

Just picked up my copy of Frank Kyper new book ( Twilight and Dawn on the East Broad Top Railroad 1945 - 1965 ) at the TCA. Soft cover book. 112 pages loaded with photos and a fair amount of new ones. The book is a good read. Highly recommend, four all you Narrow Minded EBT Fans.

Having walked the walk and been there, many times in Ottawa over the years, my own opinion is that the greater part of the ‘island’ on which the memorial is located shoud be dedicated as ‘Sacred Ground’ in the same way that the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior is in UK and USA, after all, Canada’s Unknown Warrior is also there.

I am certain that most of the young men and women of the CDF, regular and territorial, would be proud and honoured to perform the guard duty there.

As for those who perform their bathroom activities’ in a place dedicated to the sacrifice that Canada made in two World Wars, Korea and elswhere, well, they should be stripped of their citizenship and placed somewhere in one of the many global sh1tholes where they don’t actually recall how many died for them.

…and now, back to trains, with apologies for the rant.

tac, 33 years a soldier.

No need of apologies tac , not only are you right and have a right to express your views , you can only do so because of the sacrifices made by many Servicemen to guarantee that right .

And the many ex-Servicemen on here will agree .

Mike

Agree. As far as I know, no one has relieved me of my watch.

You’ve obviously not walked down the Mile End Road in London at 2am…

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Steve Featherkile said:

Agree. As far as I know, no one has relieved me of my watch.

Is that the tick-tock type Steve or the middle watch? 'cos if its the latter they NEVER relieved on time!

Lubbers.

Agree to what TAC, Mike and Steve said on the 27th above

Steve Featherkile said:

Lubbers.

Fish-head.

tac, pongo