Forums Modeling Other Scales
  • Topic: Looky here what I found on Ebay...unfinished HO microlayout

    Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 15, 2014 11:25 AM EDT
      • Smoggy L.A., Left Coast
         
      • Posts
        7,642
      • Thanks
        172
      • Thanked
        309

      I am, but I ran into a big snag. The "HO" fence I bought on Ebay arrived and was found to be bigger than G yikes! I am negotiating with the seller on refund and return, but dam I really needed the fence sections so I can set the last building in place. Until I can get the right thing, I'll have to focus on something else, probably the car repair scene.

      ____________________________________
      Have fun with your trains
    • October 15, 2014 12:36 PM EDT
      • Coldstream, British Columbia, Canada
         
      • Posts
        10,643
      • Thanks
        46
      • Thanked
        32

      Vic Smith said:

      I am, but I ran into a big snag. The "HO" fence I bought on Ebay arrived and was found to be bigger than G yikes! I am negotiating with the seller on refund and return, but dam I really needed the fence sections so I can set the last building in place. Until I can get the right thing, I'll have to focus on something else, probably the car repair scene.

      Is it very special HO fence? I have a largish HO stash of very many fine things, insluding fances. Just let me know. 

      ____________________________________

      Cheers

      HJ
      ---

      Coldstream, BC  Canada


      Inspire­d by the r­eal world

       

      English language hobby website 

      highly RhB centric, but most of it can be applied to other railway projects

    • October 15, 2014 12:58 PM EDT
      • Smoggy L.A., Left Coast
         
      • Posts
        7,642
      • Thanks
        172
      • Thanked
        309

      HJ I was looking for an ordinary low wood picket fence, 3-4 HO scale feet tall. I got something that could keep an HO scale Godzilla at bay.

      ____________________________________
      Have fun with your trains
    • October 15, 2014 1:07 PM EDT
      • Deer Park, Washington
         
      • Posts
        12,596
      • Thanks
        602
      • Thanked
        385

      Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
      Vic Smith said:

      I am, but I ran into a big snag. The "HO" fence I bought on Ebay arrived and was found to be bigger than G yikes! I am negotiating with the seller on refund and return, but dam I really needed the fence sections so I can set the last building in place. Until I can get the right thing, I'll have to focus on something else, probably the car repair scene.

      Is it very special HO fence? I have a largish HO stash of very many fine things, insluding fances. Just let me know. 

      You getting lubricated again, HJ?

      ____________________________________

      Not only does my mind wander, sometimes it walks off completely.

       

      Some people try to turn back their odometers.  Not me.  I want people to know why I look this way.  I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.  Will Rogers.

    • October 15, 2014 1:16 PM EDT
      • Coldstream, British Columbia, Canada
         
      • Posts
        10,643
      • Thanks
        46
      • Thanked
        32

      Steve Featherkile said:
      Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
      Vic Smith said:

      I am, but I ran into a big snag. The "HO" fence I bought on Ebay arrived and was found to be bigger than G yikes! I am negotiating with the seller on refund and return, but dam I really needed the fence sections so I can set the last building in place. Until I can get the right thing, I'll have to focus on something else, probably the car repair scene.

      Is it very special HO fence? I have a largish HO stash of very many fine things, insluding fances. Just let me know. 

      You getting lubricated again, HJ?



      No, I don't have that lubricating problem, but I was hurrying like crazy, someone with ..... on his brains suggested it. 

      ____________________________________

      Cheers

      HJ
      ---

      Coldstream, BC  Canada


      Inspire­d by the r­eal world

       

      English language hobby website 

      highly RhB centric, but most of it can be applied to other railway projects

    • October 15, 2014 7:12 PM EDT
      • Coldstream, British Columbia, Canada
         
      • Posts
        10,643
      • Thanks
        46
      • Thanked
        32

      Vic Smith said:

      HJ I was looking for an ordinary low wood picket fence, 3-4 HO scale feet tall. I got something that could keep an HO scale Godzilla at bay.



      OK I'll have a look at the shop tomorrow.

      ____________________________________

      Cheers

      HJ
      ---

      Coldstream, BC  Canada


      Inspire­d by the r­eal world

       

      English language hobby website 

      highly RhB centric, but most of it can be applied to other railway projects

    • October 15, 2014 9:03 PM EDT
      • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
         
      • Posts
        11,131
      • Thanks
        127
      • Thanked
        919

      Mike Morgan said:

      I can't help but wonder where modelling skills have gone .


      When I got my first LGB (when it first came out) there were no buildings or accessories , so I built my own .


      Now it seems if you can't get a kit to exactly fit your requirements , you don't bother .


      Try scratch building , especially building bridges (which is what I am doing here) , the bridge have to fit a particular spot , bending the track round to fit a bridge can look artificial .


      And I have to add , Vic seems to be having a lot of fun building his mini layout , it shows . It's very good .

      Mike, yes, I wonder too. The RTR and built up market helps bring into the hobby, folks who haven't developed those kinds of skills yet. But it seams to me that those skills aren't being passed on, nor developed by many folks in the hobby, in all scales.

       

      I had a fellow club member ask where I got the dual gauge track with gauge separation sections that I have on my HO module.  I told him the I hand laid it. He asked again where I got it, as if I was keeping a secret from him.

       

      I had a gentleman get kind of indignant at a train show, when I told him that I scratch-built my trestle. He said something like, yea you built it, but where did you buy the kit? I tried to explain that I took some pine boards, and made scale lumber on my miniature table saw, and built the trestle from the lumber I made. He didn't like that answer.

       

      But I do have to say I was a bit flattered when another club member told me he thought my scratch-built N scale trestle and bridge was a laser cut kit.

       

      Kit-bashing and scratch-building skills are developed by trying, failing and trying again. Learning what doesn't work can sometimes be as helpful as learning what does work.

       

      And getting advice from experienced and talented modelers is very helpful. That is why sites like this are great for those who want to learn skills they don't have yet.

      ____________________________________

      Shannon car Shops
      Home of the infamous leg lamp

      I.A.R.R.R. Member #12

      and King Butt Modeler

    • October 15, 2014 11:52 PM EDT
      • Smoggy L.A., Left Coast
         
      • Posts
        7,642
      • Thanks
        172
      • Thanked
        309

      Thanks HJ, let me know, there's a fence coming up due on Ebay in a couple days if you dont have something, I only need about 12 inches of the stuff.

      ____________________________________
      Have fun with your trains
    • October 17, 2014 2:05 PM EDT
      • Smoggy L.A., Left Coast
         
      • Posts
        7,642
      • Thanks
        172
      • Thanked
        309

      HJ If you don't have anything let me know . There's something on Evilbay that will work.
      ____________________________________
      Have fun with your trains
    • November 11, 2014 12:21 PM EST
      • Smoggy L.A., Left Coast
         
      • Posts
        7,642
      • Thanks
        172
      • Thanked
        309

      Progress, major scenery is complete:










      Still need a few more details and autos on the street side and the overhead trolley wiring is going to be really tricky to set up, but at least the alley side is about 90%



      Like any good 'artist' I always sign my work LOL

      ____________________________________
      Have fun with your trains
Forums Modeling Other Scales

    Icon Legend

  • Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google