Large Scale Central

On the reading front

My buddy in Kelowna subscribes to the Swiss mag “Loki”, a general model railroad mag but with a wide selection of themes. In 2012 — I’m a bit behind on the “subscriber” list — they had an eight issue series on rotaries and other snow clearing equipment. Yeah, so what? What blew me away: I have never before seen as many NA examples of snow clearing equipment in 1:1 or model form.

If it weren’t for copyright infringements I’d scan all of them.

The other one is their term “garden railways”; turns out that covers the 5" and 7.25" track gauge in various scales … and the most interesting part … write ups on two “Old Farts”. One got into the hobby at age 60 and at 80 is still at it.

The other gentleman was in business producing various items used in modern medicine e.g. artificial joints, dental implants and the like. Getting ready for retirement from that business he started a company producing models for 5" track gauge.

Both have some very impressive shop equipment and use modern CNC equipment (job shops) to have items too large for their machinery produced outside.

No, I didn’t check yet in which price range their products play. I’ll do that tomorrow.

The former medical implements mfg’s website has a PDF pricelist http://www.orbetech.ch/PDF/Preisliste.pdf A steamer for just shy of US$40’000; an electric (including batteries) for shy of US$ 59’000

Both running on 5" track gauge

To get price info from http://www.garten-parkbahnen.ch one needs to call. In the “If you need to ask, you probably can’t afford it” manner.

This “Gartenbahn” club http://www.gartenbahn-staufen.ch/index.php/dienstleistung is associated with the company. One can rent their 1000ft of track with rolling stock at Sfr.1800/day or Sfr2900 for two days. Outch (US$ 2000 and US$ 3221).

:wink: :wink:

Yes, for this one needs a larger wink.

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

What blew me away: I have never before seen as many NA examples of snow clearing equipment in 1:1 or model form.

If it weren’t for copyright infringements I’d scan all of them.

Any pics of the GN (later BN, and BNSF) Snow Dozers? Those are a unique piece of snow fighting equipment. The SP also had some unique pieces as well for Donner Pass.

Craig,

I’ll have to check.

More goodies from “Loki” mag; issue 12/2012 has an eight page article on the design/construction/production of a replica engine that his grandfather started to build in 1910. Including the research to find out the type of engine (Prussian experimental) and some pictures/plans. Oh BTW production happened at shapeways.com. In part using the sinter printing process with stainless steel.

I guess there will be a quality surcharge for that kind of material.

Having scanned through the twelve issues I can now get to copying stuff applicable to my interests.

Just finished reading “Getting There” (http://www.amazon.com/Getting-There-Struggle-between-American/dp/0226300439 ). This came up during the High Speed Train “discussion”". Absolutely fascinating reading.

Some years ago I came across a book by Bill Bryson entitled “A Walk in the Woods”. I have read a few more of his works since.

For those who have not read this particular book, it describes a walk along the longest continuous footpath in the world i.e. The Appalachian Trail. ** The link describes it much better than I can.

http://www.billbryson.co.uk/index.php/a-walk-in-the-woods/

When I read this book initially it was at a time when my knowledge of The United States was scarce indeed - large scale railroading has re-dressed that to a degree.

Accordingly, with 4th. July upon us, I decided to have another read of the book. My knowledge of some of the places he passes through should. hopefully, have far more meaning for me now.

** The cover and detail about the book suggest the AT as the longest trail but apparently it no longer is. In Chapter 3 the writer refers to The Pacific Crest and Continental Divide Trails as being slightly longer.

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

Just finished reading “Getting There” (http://www.amazon.com/Getting-There-Struggle-between-American/dp/0226300439 ). This came up during the High Speed Train “discussion”". Absolutely fascinating reading.

It is, isn’t it. Referred to me to read by none other than “Chili” John Pritchard.

Despite The World Cup and now the Tour de France I managed to read the book by yesterday evening. I did find it more meaningful as I reconized many place names especially in VA, WVa, PA and MA, it all helped perspective. A fascinating journey but one I could not contemplate nowadays.

I find the humour good, some I guess rubbed off on him when he was resident over here.

Now I have turned my attention to the best book that I know about dealing with the history and formation of the United States. The book is by a former Briton, who became an American citizen - just like many before him’

The book is Alistair Cooke America. I used to listen to him of the BBC radio years a go with his weekly programme entitled ‘Letter from America’. A most informative guy with a easy to listen to voice.

The next choice will be something about the American Civil War. I mention ‘American’ as many countries, even this one, have had them in the past.

Two weeks ago I took out from a local library a study book on the American Civil War. Actually the time period is 1803 - 1877 which covers the causes, course and consequences of this gruesome and divisive war.

There are many names of key personalities which are recognizable to me (mainly the northern victors) and many which are not. I guess I have some admiration for Robert E. Lee.

Many place names are also known to me (my fictitious garden railroad runs up through the Shenandoah Valley and on to SW Pennsylvania) so that does give me some kind of rapport with the places and battles.

What does come through, rather forcibly to me, is the tremendous loss of life on both sides.

Alan, you are not alone in your admiration for General Robert E. Lee. All of America shares in that admiration. You don’t find many ships of the victor’s navy named after the Commanding General of the rebel army, but USS ROBERT E. LEE (SSBN 601) is one such ship. In fact, as time goes on, other leaders of the Confederate Army are gaining respect, notwithstanding Picket, Stonewall Jackson, J.E.B. Stuart, James Longstreet, Jubal Early, and others. As time goes on, the wounds heal.

You are right about the extreme butcher’s bill that was paid in that war. The problem was that both sides fought using the tactics of the preceding centuries, i.e. massed armies, marching against each other across open fields. They did not take into account the advances in weaponry, specifically the Minie ball, a spin stabilized rifle bullet named after its developer, Claude Etienne Minie. This rifle bullet greatly extended the lethal range of the common infantry weapon over the musket of previous centuries. This, plus advances in artillery made the carnage incredible.