Large Scale Central

FIFA World Cup

Controversies, scandals, Sepp Blatter and all that is put aside. It’s time to flake out in front of the Wide-Screen and watch how they do it.

Been watching when I can, I am astounded Spain got knocked out so fast, Britain was also a surprise given how many uber-paid (or is that over-paid) players they have, France is a big surprise at how well they are playing, otherwise is still a little too early, well see where the chips really are by about Wednesday.

I have to watch the cup on the local spanish language station so I get treated to hearing

GOOOOooooAAAAAAaaaaaaLLLLLLL!

whenever someone scores.

:wink:

The French really clobbered Switzerland, the Swiss were shell shocked. Gave away the ball in their own half and BINGO … it was as natural as … (one of my buddies put it in plain Italian).

For England, Over paid is right Vic.
Problem is, too many foreign investors have bought English clubs. They buy and import foreign players, therefore no home grown talent.
Lol, I,m glad I,m not a fan…

AAAAAHHHHHH &%$#$%^&!!!.. you have got to be effing kidding me!!! At 95 barking minutes???..aaaarrrggghhhhh!!!

US loses to Portugal 2-2, yes it was most definetly a LOSS to tie it in penalty time, the US was continually being outplayed. God help us against Germany…

:frowning:

Vic Smith said:

AAAAAHHHHHH &%$#$%^&!!!.. you have got to be effing kidding me!!! At 95 barking minutes???..aaaarrrggghhhhh!!!

US loses to Portugal 2-2, yes it was most definetly a LOSS to tie it in penalty time, the US was continually being outplayed. God help us against Germany…

Yep, thirty seconds remaining and … BINGO. Klinsmann was counting his chickens before they hatched and so was the commentator. As Yogy Berra used to say “It ain’t over till it’s over.” Which is when the ref blows the whistle.

BTW it’s not penalty time, it’s extra time to make up for the stoppage of play during the regular 90 minutes.

They should have known better given Argentina’s win in extra time as well …Yep it ain’t over till its over. But Geeez, its was heartbreaking none the less.

How to tell if you are a soccer fan…

If you watched todays Brazil vs Chile match, are not a fan of either team, but were on the edge of your seat after a 1-1 tie led to a double overtime and then a penalty ball shootout to break the tie…you might just be a soccer fan.

Honestly that was one absolute hell of a match! Critics were saying the Fifa officials would grease the wheels for Brazil to guarantee they made the next round, well no one told the Chileans that nor the referee in the match, it was a tough claw of a game right to last possible moment. as much as I dont care for Brazil, they really earned that next spot.

Tomorrow comes the wifes game, Netherlands vs Mexico, I have already warned her I think Mexico is going to get turned into Guacamole, Netherlands has a great team this year.

:slight_smile:

BTW anyone else notice the freaky Brazillian flag contacts some fans were wearing YIKES!!!

Yes Sir, it was absolutely great and Brazil won by sheer luck. Any time you have the posts and the crossbar on your side it is a huge advantage.

BTW there was a spoof ad on the Internet, advertising the English and Spanish team buses. Sales feature? Extremely low odometer reading, used just three times.

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

BTW there was a spoof ad on the Internet, advertising the English and Spanish team buses. Sales feature? Extremely low odometer reading, used just three times.

LOL I’m sure that will go over well in both countries LOL

Watching Netherlands vs Mexico and surprisingly Mexico is dominating early in, we’ll see.

:smiley:

That’s even closer than yesterday’s! Mexico deserved to win, but …

Yep, Mexico played harder and deserved it. Oh well …

Costa Rica over Greece 5:3 on penalty kicks! The right guys won this one! CR’s keeper hurt his right shoulder, but blocked a Greek shot diving right!

That’s bootfoot, right?

The ‘spectator sport’ that kills thousands of spectators every year?

Not for me, Sir.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

HJ why did the Germany game go soooooo long over time? I missed it live, guess I dont get all the rules.

Vic Smith said:

HJ why did the Germany game go soooooo long over time? I missed it live, guess I dont get all the rules.

If the game is tied after regulation time (2 x 45min + stopping time) they go to 2 x 15 min extra time. If the score is still tied they go to penalty shoot out. 5 shots each team. Final result is the score from penalty shooting unless they tie and then it is sudden death. i.e. the first team that either misses or the other team’s goalie blocks one is out.

OK I see, it was 0-0 at the end of regulation time. I though Germany had scored in the stoppage time after the regular time expired, but they actually scored in the extra time period.

USA is out, NO real surprise there, they have NO offense, or should I say they have no DRIVE to be offensive. They were way too defensive throughout the entire first round and it bite them here.

This is Go Large or Go Home time, and Belgium’s stats were like 4 to 1 in everything more aggressive. So Belgium goes on, US goes home…

Well, the Belgees just had done to them what they did to the USA 4 days ago, Argentina played a very very aggressive game, and thats what it takes to win at this level.

Germany handled France readily but I think they are going to have a hard time against Brazil, but Brazil is going to be without key players so well see…

I have to admit I’m rooting for Costa Rica to make the final, for such an underdog team that would be outrageous, but I think Argentina will prevail into the final, as will Brazil.

I got myself all revved up for a 09:00 start of the Brasil -Deutschland game. Darn!

Now I have to go and do some work in the garden, as long as the shade lasts.

5:0 for Germany at the half.