Large Scale Central

HO scaled Centennial Union Pacific locomotive.

I wasn’t sure if I could post an HO review, but thought it interesting enough to post here.

The DD40AX Centennial locomotive was and still is considered the most powerful locomotive ever built in this country. Essentially it was two locomotives co joined to create one very huge locomotive capable of handling even the heaviest consist of the era. It was Union Pacific’s idea from start to finish. The UP
Centennial was a monster alright. Just doing a walk around can wear one out.

The HO scaled model I have is made by Bachmann Industries and manufactured in China. It features all wheel drive. As in all 8 axles are live and turning under power from motors in the body. The locomotive over all is quite detailed and features many details normally not seen on HO locomotives until you reach the high end types. Everything from railings to various panels and screens are replicated in great detail. The trucks are done in silver. The body and fuel tank in medium gray and that beautiful UP yellow. The couplers on mine are actually a brownish color and not black. Giving it a realistic rusty type appearance. The front hood is colored in dark green. Which was prototypical.

The locomotive, even in HO scale, is quite long. Looks very impressive on a setup display or pulling a long consist of coal hoppers. I tried this and she pulled comfortably, 33 coal hoppers with a bayside window UP caboose to complete the setup. On top of the locomotives roof is a flashing yellow beacon. Again, prototypical of the real machine. A nice touch I might add.

The lettering and placards are crisp and neat. Now this locomotive is DCC ready and comes with the chip plug. A newer version of this locomotive is available with a sound system. It is quite good. Features a real recorded DD40AX sounds. The horn, engine wind up and acceleration/deceleration sounds. Mine retailed for $75 dollars. The newer sound version retails for $150 dollars.

Bachmann Industries is really quite good in HO scaled items. They have a whole new line out for HO scaled engines with sound. I cannot find any faults with mine and she is a real steady puller. There is a warranty from Bachmann and directions to access the DCC ready plug. Overall, I am really pleased with this engine and I like her looks. This particular version is modeled after the famous 6900 Road Number.
She now rest with her mate, a steam Big Boy on permanent display.

Now, my only closing remark is this: Why can’t some manufacture figure out how to make one of these
Centennial’s in G…

Stacy

Yes, this is not an HO forum.

I don’t think we want to start posting reviews on other stuff, there’s tons of HO and N scale items, but last time I checked this was a large scale site.

Not trying to be nasty, but it is a forum where people offer their viewpoints.

I have absolutely no interest in reading HO scale reviews, and without any voltage and current numbers, pulling power, details on wheel profile, accuracy to scale, it’s not a review like you would read in Model Railroader.

Greg

Nope, not an HO site.

My sincere apologies.

Why not just move this to the “Other Scale” forum, seams a little more appropriate there.

Why no G Centennial? Think about it, shear size! It would be MASSIVE, like the Big Boy model, and like the Big Boy, its was singular to ONE railroad and only be applicable to a handful of layouts big enough to operate it.

Accommodating the Dash-9s and SD70s were a challenge to alot of modelers, I doubt very many would rebuild again for such a beast.

Apparently someone did already.

How about a Pizza sized DD40AX ?

You mean Z scale?

John, like the one truck dash 9 on the Phoenix display at the shows? :slight_smile:

Well I am sure Vic’s imagination could come up with something.

Try ‘T’ scale.

tac