Large Scale Central

Photo Memories of Subic Bay, RP

I stumbled on this collection of photos that date from 1960 through the closing in 1994, and then a return in 2007. NAVSTA Subic Bay, NAVAIRSTA Cubi Point, NAVHOSP Subic Bay, Magsaysay St, The Barrio, Jeepnies, Ships, Planes, LBFMs, Trikes, Nearly 500 photos in all.

For all you WESTPAC sailors, enjoy.

http://www.flickriver.com/groups/navstasubicbay/pool/interesting/

God, those photos brought back memories of my own misspent youth in the Royal Navy on carriers in the 50’s.!!
Just swop the place for Malta, Naples, and anywhere around the Med!

Wow! I was on HMS Victorious visiting Subic Bay the year before that picture was taken. The guy who submitted that picture, “Geraldo”, was an old buddy of mine, Gerry Harcup. Sadly no longer with us.
Great place to visit.

Because of the massive fire aboard the U.S.S. Forrestal CVA-59 in 1967, I never got to Subic Bay. Did get to spend 9 months in shipyards in Virgina chipping paint and then another 9 months over in the Med. And now she’s gone. Navy sold her for scape a couple of months ago for, are you ready for this, $.01.

Thanks for the photos Steve.

Even though my service careers were with the RAF (at an RNAS base for 18 months) and Fire Service I still found these pic more than interesting.

It was interesting to see the aircraft carrier HMS Victorious in a couple of shots. The present vessel of that name is a nucleus submarine.

For the old salts, interested in warships, here is a link to the carrier HMS Victorious detailing here career and service. Stateside matelots might be interested to know that she served for a few months in 1943 as USS Robin.

http://www.militaryfactory.com/ships/detail.asp?ship_id=HMS-Victorious-R38

Great memories for you folks who served there…

I spent my time overseas in Thule, Greenland… 1959-60… Not quite as warm as Subic Bay… :slight_smile:

I’d forgotten all about those “Jeepneys” or whatever they called them. Oh yes, Olongapo City.

A filthy dump, if there ever was one. (circa 1965 when I was there.)

Brings back lots of memories, some good and some not so good.

Thanks for posting Steve.