Large Scale Central

Digital Media

Recently I’ve received a lot of email from Kalmbach pushing their digital editions. I finally bit when they offered Model Railroader for $29 for a year. Note that this is only the digital edition.

The reason I wanted digital is that I really don’t want to keep all of the paper copies.

The digital edition is not quite where I want it to be yet, but it is pretty good. More on that later.

The digital edition is fulfilled through Zinio - no matter where you buy the subscription from.

Once you get it, you can run it on any device. For instance, I can access it on my Kindle Fire or from my PC; they also support Apple devices. Of course, they have LOTS of different magazines to choose from.

There are a number of nice features.

• Naturally you get the digital version of the entire magazine and can easily zoom in and out.
  • I didn’t check ALL of the ads, but if there was a web address listed in the ad, you just click on it (or touch your screen) and you go to the browser for that location. I thought this was very cool; it seems like I usually read the hard copy in bed at night, and naturally I don’t have my computer with me- of course that changes with the Kindle.
  • Many of the articles have a “text” button; so you can read the article without any pictures.
  • There’s a table of contents section that I can easily access, so I don’t have to “page” back to the front of the magazine.
  • There’s also a filmstrip type view available that allows you to quickly go from one page to another.
  • You get notified (via email) that the next issue is available, so you will be one of the first to get it.

I also tried it on Garden Railways. They allowed me to add 6 issues to my current subscription for only $6.

I doubt if I’ll get the paper version after it expires.

Earlier, I mentioned that it’s not quite “there” yet. A few years back I bought the 75 years of Model Railroader on DVD.

The search function is great as you search across all 75 years – including advertisements.

When I start a project, I’ll just key in a related word and see what I get. You can limit the search – here’s a piece of the screen showing the search input. All of the issues are displayed on the right side, and you can scroll through them or double-click on one to read it directly.

Once you double click on an issue you have several options to view it. You can get a list view – which just gives you details for each article. Thumbnail view which displays a thumbnail of each page of the magazine, sort of like the issue thumbnails above. You can view a single page, or two pages at a time. The mouse wheel allows you to scroll through the pages, but there’s also a standard slider, as well as next page and previous page buttons. You can zoom in, show a page actual size, or fit it to your window.

The resolution is not quite as high as I would like, but it is certainly good enough. It’s much better on the digital editions.

What would be nice is if you could somehow merge the digital editions you receive monthly with the 75 year collection. This would allow you to search over your own collection.

Bruce,

The folks at Waukesha are quite persistent with their subscribe and digital mail. I have ignored it as I like to get my magazines from my local newsagent.

But I have had difficulties with TRAINS magazine. Classic Trains and the frequent special editions are no problem and I do not bother with GR anymore. So I may reconsider the TRAINS version.

I guess Model Railroader is a better seller as that is always on the shelves.

Bruce: Dose this mean I can recycle my 30 years worth of MR and RMC? That will make the Wifee happy! and also clear out a small part of the garage! Paul

Alan,

I’d probably give the single issue a try first. Though it works very well for me, I don’t think digital is for everyone.

Paul,

I wish! I haven’t seen any digital collection for RMC; maybe I need to search again. The MR DVD only covers 1934-2009. But that does leave a gap. Plus I don’t know how far back MR at Zinio goes.

It’s so close, but just not there yet.

Thanks for the advice Bruce. I see what you are driving at.

E. Paul Austin said:

Bruce: Dose this mean I can recycle my 30 years worth of MR and RMC? That will make the Wifee happy! and also clear out a small part of the garage! Paul

If you are going to get rid of them eventually consider contacting Railpub. The owner specializes in buying/selling old books and magazines. You just might happen to have issues that someone is looking for in the future… :wink:

I tried the digital sub, but it wouldn’t run on my Android Tablet…I canceled that portion of my subscription…then they took the liberty of trying to redefine marriage-and I canceled the print version as well…Sad Day!

I subscribe to the digital edition (only) of Garden Railways for about two years. I am running an Android tablet (Acer A-500 10") that is also a couple years old. Zinio works just fine on the Android tablet, or my android phone, and I can also use the PC. I like it better than the hard copy. I used to get the hard copy back in the 90s and early 2000s. Most of the ads are clickable and take you to their website, also any links within an article are also active.

But the coolest thing is I joined my local library and they have all sorts of magazines you can download FOR FREE on Zinio. One of which is Model Railroader. I haven’t subscribed to that since my HO days that ended in the early 90s, and I had stacks of magazines to get rid of when I moved. I like to browse Model Railroader since it is a free download from the library, but since it is mostly HO I wouldn’t purchase a subscription again.

So, go to the local library, sign up, and then get a zino “subscription” ?

Mike, that sounds really cool.

Any tips on this? I’ll contact my local library.

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

So, go to the local library, sign up, and then get a zino “subscription” ?

Mike, that sounds really cool.

Any tips on this? I’ll contact my local library.

Greg

Yeah Greg, I haven’t had a library card since I was in High School. Go to your local library and sign up (free). Ask them about ebooks, and magazines on line. Here in Volusia county, their website has a link for Zinio and you can browse for magazines. I already had a Zinio account for my Garden Railways subscription, but you have to link a new account to the library. Both accounts are under my same email address, so all magazines, subscribed and from the library show up in my Zinio account.

Model Railroader is available free from the library, but not Garden Railways.