Large Scale Central

USA autocar. reviewed?

Has anyone reviewed these?? Just got my first one finally.
Awesome car. Great detailing. Just the WOW factor times 10!!

I’ve got a few of them… Problem I had was the coupler heights… This car has a design that allows for the coupler to be installed in a raised or lowered position… Neither of these positions lined up with the Kadee couplers height…

When they first came out, there was articles on MLS about folks trying different ways to make the coupler height match, they were also discussing the wheels hitting on 10 diameter curves…

I fixed both problems with my autoracks, by using old truck bolsters from my Bachmann 3 bay hoppers, and smaller diameter wheels… I used this same configuration of trucks and wheels, when I scratchbuilt my autoracks and TOFC’s… Using the old truck bolsters and smaller diameter wheels took care of both problems for me…

Just my 2 cents worth…

Thanks for the tips. I would like to add KDs to match the rest of my fleet. I’ll have to look at a custom mount then?
I bought 15’ curves for the new mainline outside so they should be OK??
This car is massive! Looks (and smells) just like the newer Lionel O gauge ones. They are light for their size in O gauge. I’ll have to see how these track.

They are heavy enough and track well. Just wish I had more larger dia track so I could go more places with the cars on my RR. Later RJD

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/public/album_photo/4e/b7/01/1b498_0034.jpg?c=8fca)
and here she is on the tightest but short, curve on my RR
(http://www.largescalecentral.com/public/album_photo/4c/b7/01/1b496_fc7d.jpg?c=cf7d)

I’ve been busy
(http://www.largescalecentral.com/public/album_photo/99/b6/01/1b3e4_07ec.jpg?c=38b4)
and haven’t got to play much with these new cars. I’m interested to see how a string of these behaves. They seem a little light for their length. I have to still say overall a big WOW. It’s hard to believe they went forward with this product when the times were down for G scale. I’d buy more in the future…
I know they have been out for awhile. I just don’t hear much about them. At least now, I’ve got more storage room for them.

Joe,

I have run a short string of 6 Autoracks… My outside curves are large, but to get out the basement window, they negociate a 10 diameter curve… Have not had any problems with them running any more than with any other car…

I do use the USA couplers on them, tho…

Andy, Looking at your RR ops post, you have a great model RR. Modern equipment and what a layout. I read what you guys say about them staying on the tracks so I’m not planning on adding any weight. I’d try some cars inside, but it’s too new to mark her up yet!
Now if I could just get six or so of them…

Thanks, Joe… I actually have 7 of them… I also have about 7 60 ft boxcars… I have left all the USA couplers on them, and run them as a Thru-Freight on the railroad… I use the smaller freightcars for the working freights…

4 of the 60 ftr’s are undecorated, and need paint, so those I haven’t run yet…