Large Scale Central

Google Earth

Since I can’t travel the world in real life, I enjoy Google Earth. Looking at RR stations, etc.

Check this pic out I found at Seattle’s Sea Tac airport. I know it isn’t real and I didn’t photo shop it.

Some glitch in Google Earths software. Check your Google earth and see if it is there.

I get the same thing. Happens when an object moves between shots and the software decides it’s one object and combines them. Seen this a few times.

That’s the new Boeing bi-plane. Its still in the experimental stage.

LOL!

They have been going back and re-doing street view in a lot of areas. Very nice Hi-Res pictures. They use technology to blur license plates and faces, but you can see an occasional moon, so I’m told!

Yeah, some of their street views are awful. For instance, Chama NM in winter.

Not to mention about 6 years old.

I have spent hours tracking current railroad tracks, and seeing where these mining branches go…and then theres chasing down famous logging shows and shortlines…

Bart “Mr. Worldwide” Salmons said:

I have spent hours tracking current railroad tracks, and seeing where these mining branches go…and then theres chasing down famous logging shows and shortlines…

Yep… I do the same thing. I also like to look at old maps that have old RR’s drawn on them then try and locate the old beds from Google earth. Found a couple so far.

I use Google Maps satellite view to check out old mine or ghost town sites prior to my trip each year. Saves me a lot of time and gas by ruling out sites where nothing is left standing.

Check out the Ravenna Arsenal in Ravenna Ohio. It’s a “decomissioned” ammunition manufacturing facility but the entire base was rail served. You can tell by the broad curves in all the roads. The ammo bunkers are all still there. Also sometimes you can spot tanks and trucks doing manuvers. But, when something is really going on the entire thing is blacked or blurred out.

Terry

David Russell said:

Yep… I do the same thing. I also like to look at old maps that have old RR’s drawn on them then try and locate the old beds from Google earth. Found a couple so far.

I’ve done that, its surprisingly easier than one might think. I’m tempted to mark them up

Some ROWs traced so far include:

Pasadena & Altadena RR, which became part of the Los Angeles Terminal RR (also traced) which became the Los Angeles & Salt Lake RR , remnants of which exist about a block from my house.

Glendale & Montrose RR

Tidewater & Tonopah RR, this one is very easy

the ORIGINAL but now bypassed Transcon route

California Southern row from Perris thru Temecula Canyon to Fallbrook, this was the original LA to San Diego route before it was washed away by flooding

and there are literally thousands of miles of abandoned ROWs still traceable across the fields and farms of the midwest, and urban centers as well, those are particularly challenging to trace

The history of abandodned lines across the country can be found here

http://www.abandonedrails.com/California

From that its to Google Earth to look for traces

When I do that, I have a wonderful reference book…

A 1914 world atlas that shows all the established US rail lines, as of the printing date.

It’s a special edition for the Worlds Fair of 1914, so it includes some pretty cool photo’s too.

Dave