Large Scale Central

AML bethagon coal porter

Let me start with the fact that I just unpacked these and have not run them. I’m excited to see innovation and at first glance these cars are it! They have good looking metal trucks and metal wheels with spinners! Yes! Modern rolling stock with good innovative design? I have not checked for any measurement accuracy on any of the car yet.

Well let’s see what else. To me the coal load looks real. It may be of slightly large chunks and not shaped like modern fills but it does look good to me. A definite improvement over plastic. Overall the car looks right. I had reluctance buying these as I had heard some rumors about breakage of some of their cars. I think this design helps as the cars have solid ends. Although the grabs look good, they feel flimsy and may break with rough handling. I would have preferred them made of metal. The stirrups don’t look right as they should have been shaped better and even had another step. I may upgrade down the road if they snap off. They appear like other manufacturer’s older cars have.

Wow, they include optional body mount couplers in the pkg. First off they look like KD and seem to couple to them. Not as well with some other brands. They don’t operate as smoothly either. Still, I’m impressed that they’re included. I just noted that they are too high and may need a shim. That’s OK with me as it’s better than too low and needing grinding of the car! I hope it’s not the car’s height? There’s also a chain connected to the coupler pin that allows them to be uncoupled from the cut lever. WOW again as that’s got to be a step forward. They don’t release easy yet. I’m thinking they’ll break in with some use?

OK, I’ve nit picked and have to say that any negative so far does not detract from me being so impressed with modern offerings from what looks to be an innovative company. I missed some of their loco offerings like the K4 when I was out of work. Hopefully they keep up with more stuff like this for us modern guys. I like!!!

Just looked them up on-line, they look pretty nice.
When I had the 1/29 reefer cars from them I had the same issue with the couplers.
I got in trouble when I switched over to the supplied body mount coupler because the trucks hit the coupler box, which in turn made the car not work for my railroad which has only 8’ diameter curves.

There were no instructions inside and obviously, no min curve list. I did notice that the trucks hit the coupler box like on most large box couplers that are body mounted. I usually grind the sides a bit where the wheels hit just to get them to work on my 10’ curves. I would think that smaller curves would warrant the use of the truck mounts.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/gary_buchanan/UselessWithoutPics_Happy.gif)

There’s my favorite saying being used against me!

I just noticed that the air hose assembly is very flexible. I hit it while masking off the car and it did not snap off! Very nice.

Thanks, at least now I have some idea what you are talking about. Not being into modern equipment some of the newer jargon is all gibberish to me. :wink:

I’ll try and get a set of KDs with the smaller gear boxes and body mount them. The car is already set up for the larger boxes so I may need an adapter plate or just re-drill in the correct spots.

I think there’s a lot of train guys that just model the older era’s. It kind of splits the market segment again. It’s like when you go into modern passenger equipment. That’s a whole other round of equipment to purchase. So maybe each guy picks a segment of the hobby to model? It’s tough to model them all at once or like me, I run whatever I’ve got together on the rails at the moment!

I want to model the modern era. Yet, I bought some Challengers? I’ll probably hook them up to a unit all coal train and see if anyone complains.

No one ever complains when steam replaces diesel. :wink:

Later,

K

AML bethagon - was that a song written by Coal Porter?

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Walt

Yeap. And redun by his daughter Nada Coal.

AML getting painted

Look! That one is defective, it was built upside down!

:wink:

Greg

Kevin Strong said:

No one ever complains when steam replaces diesel. :wink:

Later,

K

Steam is just a fad it will never catch on!

it took a long time for me to get this straight! What can I say?(http://www.largescalecentral.com/public/album_photo/2b/b9/01/1b673_0abe.jpg?c=fc1f)
I’m not that fast anymore…
Decaling is not for me! Note to self: no more decal solvent. It eats off the R2X paint.

Nice paint job. I do like the cars being more modern but I’m stuck with my 20 AC 100 ton cars. At least they came in my road name. Later RJD

That is one sweet looking car!

I wouldn’t mind a few of them done up as Freedom Central fuel hoppers

Gary Buchanan said:

Thanks, at least now I have some idea what you are talking about. Not being into modern equipment some of the newer jargon is all gibberish to me. :wink:

Maybe this young lady can help you Gary lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3UL_Qtd-fM

R.J. DeBerg said:

Nice paint job. I do like the cars being more modern but I’m stuck with my 20 AC 100 ton cars. At least they came in my road name. Later RJD

Well those 100T’ners are nice cars RJ, I have two and a puff of wind will blow them along: they came with the metal b/b wheel sets. Besides those Bethgons, while I agree they look very sharp, might be a bit odd behind your Mallets.

Joe,

Sharp looking cars and give the decalling another shot. It does look good what you have done so far.

Joe Paonessa said:

it took a long time for me to get this straight! What can I say?
I’m not that fast anymore…

Decaling is not for me! Note to self: no more decal solvent. It eats off the R2X paint.

Once you apply all the required weathering you won’t notice.

I think he was trying out the rotary dump couplers. Later RJD