Large Scale Central

Scale vs Semi-Scale

A newly arrived AML 1:29 stock car really impressed me when compared with the detail of an LGB stock car:

I assume that the AML car is a much more accurate model of a real stock car. I cannot remember when I last saw a real 1:1 stock car or what era it was from or if it might have been narrow gauge or standard gauge.

It highlights the choices we have to make as we build our layouts because, just as the AML car is more accurate, it is also noticeably longer. If I were to compare a MTH 1:32 semi-scaled passenger train with a USA 1:29 (to scale?) passenger train, in my case the difference is that the MTH train (& LGB & Aristo) fits on my layout and gets a permanent place while the USA passenger train ends up sitting in boxes because I have no sidings long enough to leave it on an inside siding (and if I did it could not manage the R3 curves and turnouts to park it).

In this case, I pulled the LGB stock car from a train on a siding but I have no idea where I will put the new AML cars.

My only point is that we always seem to be making decisions that are ultimately based on $$$, where we can fit something, and if it will run on our layouts.

Jerry

That’s a Bachmann stock car on the right, not LGB. The detail of the LGB stock car is actually pretty good, once you get past the molded-on grab irons. (At least on mine, but it dates from fairly early on. They may have fixed that in later years.) In truth, LGB’s car is fairly representative of the D&RGW’s stock cars, despite LGB’s usual foreshortening.

Later,

K

My bad…

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/jerry_mccolgan/miscellaneous/scale6A.jpg)

I think this is my only LGB stock car and it was made in Western Germany with silver slotted screws so it is pretty old. Newer ones may have the press on hand rails.

Jerry

Semi scale? Really?

Sheesh and here I thought I was more or less aware of most scales running on 45mm track - including Gummi scale. But semi scale??

OTOH comparing apples to oranges isn’t all that far out - happens quite often when I need to decide “apple or orange juice??” at the breakfast buffet.

Dear Cousin Jerry - a gentle reminder [nudged by H-J and his post] that although the AML car is 1/29th scale, the other one is certainly nothing of the kind, being ‘about’ 1/24th or so - hence the different proportions. However, as you’ve often pointed out, and who can argue [?], if it looks OK-ish, why not run 'em together?

For H-J - the term semi-scale is often used in other areas of dynamic modelling, such as boats and planes, and seems to be quite acceptable to the millions of modellers of these genres. If you prefer, the term ‘stand-off’ scale is also common. Mosy of us have also applied the ‘eight-foot rule’ too - ‘scrunch your eyes up a bit and it looks just fine’.

But I’m sure you know all that. :wink:

tac

tac Foley said:

Dear Cousin Jerry - a gentle reminder [nudged by H-J and his post] that although the AML car is 1/29th scale, the other one is certainly nothing of the kind, being ‘about’ 1/24th or so - hence the different proportions. However, as you’ve often pointed out, and who can argue [?], if it looks OK-ish, why not run 'em together?

For H-J - the term semi-scale is often used in other areas of dynamic modelling, such as boats and planes, and seems to be quite acceptable to the millions of modellers of these genres. If you prefer, the term ‘stand-off’ scale is also common. Mosy of us have also applied the ‘eight-foot rule’ too - ‘scrunch your eyes up a bit and it looks just fine’.

But I’m sure you know all that. :wink:

tac

Bart and I have been using the phrase “operations quality”, too.

In R/C aircraft it is called “Sport Scale” or “Fun Scale”.

I like “Operations Quality”.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

It gets better as we “progress” down the line.

:wink: :slight_smile:

I looked up semi-scale before I added my first observations and after reading I was firmly convinced they take this too seriously.

Those “other guys” could have been a bit more creative e.g. call it “R scale”. If “G - wie Gummi” (brought to you by yours truly) is good enough for the German language fraternity (and quite a few English speakers), “R scale” should be good enough for the English language brood. “R - like rubber”; “R - like rubbish”, “R - like rot” etc. etc.

BTW semi scale sounds to me like “slightly pregnant”, a very interesting oxymoron. Or it could be a broken scale with which one can’t even weigh a happy meal that is short a few fries.

As always strictly my opinion.

:wink: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hi Cousin,

Apparently the other guy never heard of Wikipedia or Google. :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toy_train

“A toy train is a toy that represents a train. It is distinguished from a model train by an emphasis on low cost[1] and durability, rather than scale modeling. A toy train can be as simple as a pull toy that does not even run on track, or it might be operated by clockwork or a battery. Many toy trains blur the line between the two categories, running on electric power and approaching accurate scale.”

http://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/the-definitions-of-semi-scale-why-are-there-two

Some folks build model railroads, some folks build toy train sets and other folks get their enjoyment criticizing the builders instead of discussing something they built or are actually building.

Some folks are fun to hang around with and others are depressing. I prefer the enthusiasm of those who compliment others achievements no matter how big or small.

As you know, I have always favored trains (like LGB) that can sit in the layout for years without rusting or having little parts falling off. I love beautiful scale trains but semi-scale fits my budget and environment.

I try to match approximate scales which is why the Accucraft stock cars were a predicament (not having any others) but I have resolved that issue.

What is semi-scale? That is sort of like asking who the Queen is. If someone has to ask… :wink:

Cheers,

Jerry

I buy “scale models” and I buy “toys”.

I “scratch build” and buy rolling stock “ready to run”.

I run DC-track power and battery R/C.

I “collect” and “operate”.

I’ll buy from all major and minor brands, I’ve spent a lot and I’ve spent a little.

I am interested in hearing about the experiences of others who do any of the above.

Jerry McColgan said:
Hi Cousin, Apparently the other guy never heard of Wikipedia or Google.

Appearances can be deceiving. The concept of scale was explained to our class back in 1961 when we took technical drafting 101. Summarized it went something like this: “Drawing or producing an object to scale means either reducing or enlarging said object by a given ratio. All views shall have the same scale unless otherwise noted.” And that was that for the rest of my life.

I also did artistic drawing (conceptional stuff) back in HS - actually my art teacher tried to convince my parents to send me to art school (fat chance!) - and had a refresher course three years ago. But even in conceptual drawing there are “scale rules” or the stuff will look funny.

However I fully appreciate that some are only familiar with the scale they stand on and then stutter “Oh, oh, my, I am quite out of proportion!”

What a concept!

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

A friend did this with one of my photos years ago. He adjusted the visual scale of the LGB locos to more accurately represent their scale in relation to other brands. It shows why I love LGB’s sliding scales:

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/jerry_mccolgan/miscellaneous/scalelocos.jpg)

Because LGB adjusted the scale of their products as they saw fit, my LGB Moguls, Forneys etc. are not too tiny to enjoy (for me) and they are not overwhelmed by a more to scale MTH Challenger, Aristo FA-1 or Hartland Chicago Aurora Elgin.

To each his own. I like what I like and I appreciate what others like as long as they show respect for what I do. If they disrespect me or what I do, they do not deserve any respect from me.

Jerry

‘To each his own. I like what I like and appreciate what others like as long as they respect what I do’.

Exactly so.

Best

tac, ig, ken the GFT & The Port Orford and Mount Gleep Extension RR Boys

Mark V said:

I buy “scale models” and I buy “toys”.

I “scratch build” and buy rolling stock “ready to run”.

I run DC-track power and battery R/C.

I “collect” and “operate”.

I’ll buy from all major and minor brands, I’ve spent a lot and I’ve spent a little.

I am interested in hearing about the experiences of others who do any of the above.

I buy and produce/sell scale models.

I scratch build whatever the mfgs don’t offer and I “need”.

I buy toys and kitbash them into “more to scale” models.

I run DCC and DC in several different scales.

I operate - the highlight is one of my buddies’ huge HO layout where one better know how things work in “black territory” or be in deep doo-doo.

I buy only what fits my railways (era and location).

PS my connection doesn’t time out even if I have breakfast between start and finish.

PPS I have little time for those who are old enough to know better what “scale” means.

AND I have been tasked (after I offered) to design/write the operating manual for that huge layout. It will be patterned after the CPR manual.

I was gonna say something but then I realized my time would be better spent outside playing with my (Large Scale or G Scale or G Gauge or Gauge One or whatever the heck they are) toy trains.

Chuff Chuff, Whoo Whoo, and Ding Ding. That’s my game and if someone else wishes to play (I mean operate) an honest to goodness model railroad that’s perfectly OK with me. I get it and I have not the slightest desire to convert them to semi-scale.

I ask no one to waste their time trying to educate me on scale model railroads.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g_TUAeHSs4[/youtube]

Jerry

For those who don’t understand “scale” perhaps this will help:

Follow

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/jerry_mccolgan/caboose/Caboose%20Lane.jpg)

and you will find

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/jerry_mccolgan/caboose/MP13641s.jpg)

Since the owner (me) elected to put a large LGB decal on it I guess that makes it a prototypically correct 1:1 scale LGB caboose.

I sometimes operate my semi-scale “Caboose Layout” from the recliner in the air conditioned cupola.

Sometimes there are visitors but that’s OK because they too are 1:1 scale.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/jerry_mccolgan/caboose_layout/Deer-4.JPG)

I really don’t care how anyone else elects to enjoy this hobby but if they would like to play trains and have a cool drink while sitting in a real railroad caboose, they will get an idea of what railroad preservation and restoration is all about and perhaps not be so obsessed with toys and models. If toys and models are their thing, I wish them well.

Hobby. Fun. Am I missing something? I think not.

Jerry

Nice weathering job on your crummy. Who did the graffiti decals?

Its a work in progress. This is what I started out with:

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/jerry_mccolgan/caboose/old%2013641a.jpg)

The first step was to convince the school district to get it away from the vandals who were destroying it by selling it to someone who cared and would preserve and protect it.

When it was auctioned I bought it and I had it moved to the back yard where it is protected from anyone who would harm it.

The next step was to prevent further deterioration (every door & window was damaged, broken or missing).

The caboose had been gutted by MoPac before giving it to the school district but I have completely renovated the interior including heat, air conditioning, electric and plumbing to resist further environmental damage to the interior.

Eventually my plan is to restore the exterior to its original MoPac condition.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/jerry_mccolgan/caboose/OurClubHouse.jpg)

Jerry

While we don’t have such green grass, to match the colour of the trolley, in “whatever scale” we have 1:1 visitors

(http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/F-PIX/Rattler02_s.jpg)

Rumour has it he’s a scale expert.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Sometimes (usually in the winter) there are night time visitors:

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/jerry_mccolgan/caboose/R002.JPG)

I rigged a pulley system so I can feed the critters with corn in a bucket that I can raise or lower from the cupola.

Some folks complain about damage critters do to their layouts. I go out of my way to attract the critters because I enjoy watching them as much as I enjoy running the trains. I really enjoy trying to get the critters to interact with the trains.