Large Scale Central

Lightning photography

This is a little off topic, but I’m wondering if any of you might be able to help me with a photography question…

I like to shoot photos of lightning, meteor showers, and other phenomena that require long exposure times. In the past I’ve always used my 35mm SLR film camera for this. However, film and film processing are getting harder to find – and I really enjoy the advantages of digital for all my other photography.

Unfortunately my digital point-and-shoot camera is not capable of shooting exposures longer than 15 seconds, so I can’t use it for lightning, etc.

Are there any good non-SLR digital cameras that have the capability I need? I really hate to spend the money for a digital SLR that I may only need once a year, at most.

Hi Ray - I don’t know the answer, but a great resource to compare models and specs is http://www.DPReview.Com

You’ll probably want both the Bulb setting option and a connector for an external shutter switch.

I have a low-end digital SLR and it does what you want. I built a an external shutter switch that also has an auto-focus button on it from a film can and a couple of mini push-button switches.

Take a look on da Bay. You can find some really good deals on last years gee whiz DSLR. I’ve seen top of the line Nikons only a year or two old going for $250 or so.

Ray, I Googled “Photographing Lightning” and this is one of the most informative hits I found. Note: some of her exposures are around 15 sec so you might be OK with your Point-and-shoot. What kind is it?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/insights/blogs/photography/how-photograph-lightning.html

The digital cameras I currently use are Canon SD880 – great little camera.

If I’m ever lucky enough to encounter a storm that is producing a lot of lightning, I might be able to get some of it with a 15 second exposure, but most of the time I need to leave the shutter open for a few minutes to get anything.

So far the only recommendations I’ve received on DPReview have been for some recently released cameras that are still kind of pricey. I may just have to wait until they go down in price, or else take the plunge and get a DSLR.

If you decide on DSLR you could definitely go used and get a nice camera. Mine is 5 years old now and still more camera than I need. Only drawback to a used DSLR could be dust inside on the mirror or sensor from changing lenses. Fear of dust is why I bought a 50-250mm zoom lens. Many of the newer models (mine included) do have self cleaning capability.