Large Scale Central

Simple Frame Clamping Jig

In my Challenge 2013 posting there were some shots of a simple jig that I use for clamping together the frames of the cars that build. As all my cars follow the same basic design I made this jig some time ago to help make sure that the frames are straight and square. This is the basic layout. It is a piece of 5/8" birch plywood with a straight edge attached to one side and a short edge on the end.

It is very important that this corner is absolutely square.

The clamping block is a piece of 1/2" birch plywood with a slot cut on appoximately the center line. Again it is important that this corner is absolutely square

And that when the clamping block is tight against the rear straight edge that this angle is also square.

I installed two blind nuts for the fixture clamp to thread into. They are ressessed into the bottom so that the whole jig sits flat on the table top.

This is what it looks like ready for use. Overall it is 24" long by 7" wide. I can clamp a car between 12 and 19 inches long. It can be used for cars up to 6" wide but most of mine are only 4 1/4".

When glueing up a frame I put wax paper between the frame and the jig to keep it from sticking. I use Titebond 3 or Gorilla white glue as it gives more working time to get everything tight and straight.

Only thing is be sure that all your stringers are exactly the same length. There you have it. An easy way to make sure that your frames are straight. Ron

You might want to try parchment paper in place of wax paper. Although thinner, it is stronger, more slippery, and folds clean. It has a Teflon feel to it, and is used in baking or cooking sloppy foods like left over pizza, etc.

Excellent idea.

Thanks

That’s really nifty. I need to make something like this to keep my magnetic board in. I have a sheet of steel and a bunch of square magnets that I use to line up frames, but I have to square it up every time. If I had a jig like this, it’d make it a LOT easier.

Great, another project…

Thanks for posting this, Ron!

Thanks guys.
It really is a simple jig and works very well. Only trick is to make sure that the corners are absolutely square.
Bob, I have one of those steel sheets with the magnets from my model airplane days. They work ok but you really have to be careful to make sure they are square. This is just so much easier.
Ron