Large Scale Central

Bachman Emily locomotive arrived

I ordered a Bachman Emily locomotive from Reindeer Pass garden Railroad(Kidman’s) in Des Moines. GOt some cars for it from them at Marty’s, but took awhile for Bachmann to get the loco out. I plan to convert it to a Sterling Single.

Sterling Single Drawing. Aster made a model of this in live steam.

It was a larger locomotive than I had expected.

The face will be gone soon. Then some brass stanchions to be added and holes cut in the covers over the drive wheel.

Love that big drive wheel. Wheel in front is also a driver. No test runs yet, blizzard outside and I don’t think it would go around the Christmas tree’s 4’ circle, where my other transformer is.

Beautiful engine! I like the big drive wheel too…:wink:

Nice, will look even better once the face is gone

Longwood Gardens in Pa had one last week and it runs very smoth Does need at least 10’ dia. curves It was binding on less then that
Mike

Michael Moran said:
Longwood Gardens in Pa had one last week and it runs very smoth Does need at least 10' dia. curves It was binding on less then that Mike
What was binding? It only has one drive axle...???
Steve Featherkile said:
Michael Moran said:
Longwood Gardens in Pa had one last week and it runs very smoth Does need at least 10' dia. curves It was binding on less then that Mike
What was binding? It only has one drive axle...???
Look at the last picture that Jerry posted. It says the front wheels are also drivers.

The HO model is the same way, the second set of pilots and the big wheel are the drivers.

What I noticed is as it entered the curve it would slow down as if it was binding and then speed up when entering the straight. Not sure where it was binding
Mike

So thinking of doing this…But 10’ diameter track? Seriously? So they released a childs toy that can only operate on the largest of layouts? I thought they were smarter than that.

Sadly this rules me out as I run 8/9 ft diameter.

I found one video on You-tube and if you look at the centre tender wheelset it is not moving. A bit of tweaking needed.

Its designed to run on R1, I’ve seen it run on R1. It will look better on a wider curve but it most certainly doesn’t require 10’ curves.

Well Victor all I can say is it ran on the 8’ curves but it was binding every time it hit the curves.
Mike

£208.00 here. It will be staying on the dealer’s shelf.

Can’t find ANY large-scale movies - only H0.

tac

Terry,
you are not looking hard enough. Al Kramer has them for $189.00 usd (shame about the $80.00 usd postage).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khrxD34dIWY

The 80.00 postage would be needed to make up for the selling at cost. Its just a game for them who has the cheapest price. If I brought them in for sale my cost is 6.00 higher then the lowest sale price. Why I wont sell Bachmann. Bachmann will be next to follow the Aristocraft road.

Well not quite my cup of tea so it will also stay on someone shelf. Later RJD

Tim Brien said:
...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khrxD34dIWY
Well after seeing that video I have to say I like it! I have been thinking of turning the inner loop of my layout 'Euro' for some time now, adding a Brit section would be fun! The Emily looks great with those coaches! (Of course she would need a 'face lift' before I run it in public!).

I have been looking for ‘official’ documentation of the min radius and have not discovered it. I do know that a large variety of brands and models I own ‘slow’ in the curves; Nature of the beast.

She’s by far the handsomest loco on Sodor! I notice the flanges on Jerry’s Emily are smaller than we’re used to. Nice. Wonder how she rolls over pointwork… Surely something can be done to her to get her around lesser diameters than ten feet. No doubt we’ll be hearing more on this subject. Good luck with your conversion, Jerry - I’ll be interested to learn how you do those portholes in the wheelcovers, and how they work out. You’re a braver man than I!

Mike Kidman said they would do 4’ circles, have not tried that yet. Too many packages around the tree to move.

they had one at both the Gold Coast Open House and at the SWGRS, both were running on crappy Bmann steel track and worked fine, maybe something on your layout Mike, track gauge a little tighter in the curves than the bmann stuff could be the culprit.