Forums General Reviews
  • Topic: Decalomania

    Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 23, 2012 5:56 PM EDT
      • Socorro, NM
         
      • Posts
        46
      • Thanks
        0
      • Thanked
        2

      Those of us who, by virtue of some disastrous genetic kink, continue to insist that 1:20.3 is the "Scale of the Gods" have been doing without ready-made decals for some time. Both Bob Hartford and Robert Dustin have retreated to blissful retirement, leaving us to try to explain ourselves to our own Stanley Cedarleaf, or some other custom maker. Now, the last time I called Stan to try to describe what I needed, I became so confused and abusive that Mr. C. threatened to have my number blocked. Clearly, I needed something already complete with the endless reporting detail, and a situation where I could chant a stock # and screech "Me buy! Me buy" into the phone.
      So, it was with pleasure and relief that I ordered-up a set of new San Juan Decal Co.'s 15mm D&RGW Caboose , and GRAMPS frameless tank car decals. These are quite excellent and finally allowed me to finish my vintage PSC long caboose, and to convert a relatively cheap unmarked Bachmann Frameless tanker to a gramps. These decals have an exceptionally thin carrier film, and are fragile when placing--- the less moving around on the model, especially on flat paint, the better. And yes, skeptics, Senor Manos de Piedra managed to screw up one placement--- save a lot of bad yelling and buy two sets. The tanker was much easier because of its satin black Krylon finish--- far less chance of tearing. I should have sprayed the caboose with clear semi-gloss prior. The beauty of this film is, of course, that it is invisible when matte coated. I also used the Microscale decal solutions AFTER final placement, and they really hunkered down. The sets come with good sets of plans, but photos of your prototypes help with the uniqueness of narrow gauge equipment.
      Caboose Hobbies carries the line, and you can also order direct from San Juan-- nice people, but not devotees of Plastic Money. They will, however, send you your order before they get your check--- a habit from which my other creditors have long since refrained.
      Good people, fine product--- recommended without compunction.
      john
    • November 3, 2012 12:23 AM EDT
      • Peoria, AZ
         
      • Posts
        384
      • Thanks
        3
      • Thanked
        11

      I can't believe you had any problems ordering from Stan Cedarleaf! He has always been easy to deal with, offering a superior product and great customer service. I am also in !:20.3 and that scale has never been a problem with Stan. His base film is easy to work with and I have had minimal problems with placement (except when I didn't do proper prep). He also offers custom work which you don't get from a "sheet" supplier.
      ____________________________________

      - Never Ask Permission. Only Forgiveness
      - Check Out my Website: http://www.sourdoh.com

    • November 3, 2012 1:33 AM EDT
      • Burbank, CA
         
      • Posts
        1,302
      • Thanks
        192
      • Thanked
        221

      John Egert said:
      Those of us who, by virtue of some disastrous genetic kink, continue to insist that 1:20.3 is the "Scale of the Gods" have been doing without ready-made decals for some time. Both Bob Hartford and Robert Dustin have retreated to blissful retirement, leaving us to try to explain ourselves to our own Stanley Cedarleaf, or some other custom maker. Now, the last time I called Stan to try to describe what I needed, I became so confused and abusive that Mr. C. threatened to have my number blocked. Clearly, I needed something already complete with the endless reporting detail, and a situation where I could chant a stock # and screech "Me buy! Me buy" into the phone. So, it was with pleasure and relief that I ordered-up a set of new San Juan Decal Co.'s 15mm D&RGW Caboose , and GRAMPS frameless tank car decals. These are quite excellent and finally allowed me to finish my vintage PSC long caboose, and to convert a relatively cheap unmarked Bachmann Frameless tanker to a gramps. These decals have an exceptionally thin carrier film, and are fragile when placing--- the less moving around on the model, especially on flat paint, the better. And yes, skeptics, Senor Manos de Piedra managed to screw up one placement--- save a lot of bad yelling and buy two sets. The tanker was much easier because of its satin black Krylon finish--- far less chance of tearing. I should have sprayed the caboose with clear semi-gloss prior. The beauty of this film is, of course, that it is invisible when matte coated. I also used the Microscale decal solutions AFTER final placement, and they really hunkered down. The sets come with good sets of plans, but photos of your prototypes help with the uniqueness of narrow gauge equipment. Caboose Hobbies carries the line, and you can also order direct from San Juan-- nice people, but not devotees of Plastic Money. They will, however, send you your order before they get your check--- a habit from which my other creditors have long since refrained. Good people, fine product--- recommended without compunction. john
      I really find it very hard to believe that you problems ordering from Stan. As a matter of fact, I REALLY find it hard to believe he was "abusive" to you. Stan HAS BEEN AND IS the consummate perfect gentleman. I also model 1:20.3 and have always had great service with Stan and he delivers a great product. I emailed Stan a couple of years about some special decals for D&RGW #212 and I had a proof back ready for printing in less than fifteen minutes! Doesn't sound "confused" or "abusive" to me! JMHO
    • November 3, 2012 2:51 AM EDT

      •  
      • Posts
        1,090
      • Thanks
        0
      • Thanked
        1

      I believe the poster said HE was confused and abusive TO Stan ....not the other way around ... and having well and truly burnt that bridge was relieved to find another source of what he needed. Which makes sense; personally, I'd be up the proverbial creek without Stan Cedarleaf's work.... its on most of my stuff.
    • November 3, 2012 7:44 AM EDT
      • Burbank, CA
         
      • Posts
        1,302
      • Thanks
        192
      • Thanked
        221

      Matthew (OV) said:
      I believe the poster said HE was confused and abusive TO Stan ....not the other way around ... and having well and truly burnt that bridge was relieved to find another source of what he needed. Which makes sense; personally, I'd be up the proverbial creek without Stan Cedarleaf's work.... its on most of my stuff.
      I think you might be right about that.....my bad!:( Sorry.....I apologize to the OP. It was late last night when I posted. Should have re-read!
    • November 3, 2012 10:14 AM EDT
      • Lunenburg , Massachusetts
         
      • Posts
        354
      • Thanks
        2
      • Thanked
        10

      I have never had an issue with Stan. He does great work! I frequently send him a sheet drawn out with what I want and give him some creative license and I am always thrilled with the results. Bob Dustin did good work. I was also disapointed to find he had retired.
    • November 3, 2012 10:33 AM EDT

      •  
      • Posts
        7,838
      • Thanks
        17
      • Thanked
        11

      I find it hard to believe anyone could be abusive to Stan :D
      He's one of the friendliest and easiest people I've had the pleasure to do business with ;)
      Ralph
    • November 3, 2012 11:27 AM EDT
      • Candlewood Valley, Connecticut
         
      • Posts
        13,787
      • Thanks
        1,518
      • Thanked
        1,123

      I agree Ralph. I met Stan face-to-face for the first time at last Spring's ECLSTS. We've chatted on various forums and I once bought some 45 Tonner parts from him off eBay. When I introduced myself Stan acted as if we had been close friends for years. Stan is good people. So much so I thing if the original poster were to call him and apologize Stan would accept it and bend over backwards to help.
      ____________________________________

      www.cvsry.com www.cvsry.com

    • November 3, 2012 2:32 PM EDT
      • Deer Park, Washington
         
      • Posts
        12,596
      • Thanks
        602
      • Thanked
        385

      I suspect that the OP had his tongue firmly placed in his cheek. That's the way I read it, anyway.
      ____________________________________

      Not only does my mind wander, sometimes it walks off completely.

       

      Some people try to turn back their odometers.  Not me.  I want people to know why I look this way.  I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.  Will Rogers.

    • November 3, 2012 3:27 PM EDT
      • Toronto, ON., CAN.
         
      • Posts
        1,945
      • Thanks
        62
      • Thanked
        73

      Steve Featherkile said:
      I suspect that the OP had his tongue firmly placed in his cheek. That's the way I read it, anyway.
      Ditto.
    • November 7, 2012 2:14 PM EST
      • Socorro, NM
         
      • Posts
        46
      • Thanks
        0
      • Thanked
        2

      Well, I know humor has been a little hard to come by lately---- actually Cedarleaf sensei and I go way back on complex fiduciary relationships over some Aristo passenger cars lo these many years ago. What I was trying to be silly about was the time I called re: a set of D&RGW long caboose decals. Stan tried to convince me that all I had to do was tell him what I wanted, and what size. Unfortunately, he failed to grasp the bedrock issue that I had no damn idea whatsoever what I wanted/needed. It was so far beyond my comprehension that I became flustered and MAY have called him an "Arizona Bastard" and a "High Desert Scumsucker"..... But he forgave me---- he knows I have yet more of those corrugated cars which he lusts for in his heart of hearts. HOWEVER, if I ever need a set of custom decals for the Sphincter Ranch Route here in Socorro, he'll be the first call I'll make...... Right Stan????
      john
    • November 7, 2012 2:52 PM EST
      • Toronto, ON., CAN.
         
      • Posts
        1,945
      • Thanks
        62
      • Thanked
        73

      Here's to more of that creative invective...
    • November 23, 2012 3:37 PM EST

      •  
      • Posts
        9,393
      • Thanks
        249
      • Thanked
        862

      I have had the same issue, not being able to send a complete set of drawings to be produced.

      I understood this to be the basic problem.

      Greg
      ____________________________________

      Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.


      ­Click HERE for Greg­'s web sit­e
      PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

    • November 25, 2012 12:26 PM EST
      • Socorro, NM
         
      • Posts
        46
      • Thanks
        0
      • Thanked
        2

      Yeah, this was essentially the issue I obscured by a misbegotten effort to be cute. On these historical lettering jobs, it is really difficult to get it all together--- at least for me-- short of stealing some smaller-scale set and blowing it up. The San Juan Decal sheet contains all the "Do not spit on the floor" type of stuff that I never could seem to get together for a custom set, as well as different stencil patterns for individual cars, different data dates, etc.
      Sorry to drive a perfectly simple idea deep into the ground.......
      john
    • November 25, 2012 1:43 PM EST

      •  
      • Posts
        405
      • Thanks
        0
      • Thanked
        0

      No no no... please... I just enjoyed reading all you wrote.. who cares if it's 1:20.whatever ;)
Forums General Reviews

    Icon Legend

  • Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google