Large Scale Central

Gargraves "Flex" track - in stainless

Rembering “O” gauge Gargraves brand track when a kid, I see Wholesale Trains offers Gargraves flex track in stainless #1 guage.
Anyone familiar with the product?

• Is it truly flexible, as is the “O” guage product – I remember 2 and 3’ lengths that would bend like a snake.
  • Is the stainless version strong enough for outside use?
  • Compared to either LGB, Aristo, or the new entry, Bachmann, is it comparable with the flex advantage?

Apparently made in the USA, the Gargraves mfg. site does have pix – however not detail close.
Thanks,
Wendell

Wendell;

The only examples of Gargraves #1 gauge track that I have ever seen would not be suitable for use outdoors. The rail is drawn into shape from fairly thin gauge metal, so it is hollow tubular rail with an inverted “V” below the foot of the rail to lock it into the wooden ties. Those ties would not last long outdoors, and a fairly large dog could probably put dents into the rail with its toenails. I am not trying to belittle the track. It is made the same as all the other Gargraves track, but that makes it strictly for indoor layouts.

Hope this helps,
David Meashey

But wow–if it’s stainless, and it was on a raised section or in a place where foot traffic wasn’t likely, the price is really good. About 6 dollars for three feet of stainless tracK?? Cant beat that with a stick. I’m thinking of ordering some just to see what it’s like. I have some raised sections, and I’m thinking creosote on the ties…

I have a Gargraves catalogue somewhere, the question is where! :lol:

I also have their special RR Track planning software somewhere (see above), what I remember off the top, they offer either wood or plastic ties.

Also…
On the Wholesale Trains site, there are Gargraves guage #1 turnouts. These switches appear to be equivalent to LGB’s larger version. Both electric and manual and stainless rail. Electrified in the $60.00 range.
Any users?

Wendell

Do they list the rail code?

Greg

Greg-
Good question. I didn’t see any reference on the Wholesale or the Gargraves listing per Google. We may both picture the Lionel-style track. However, if stainless, and if the photo of the track is helpful on the web site, it may be the dimension of LGB/Aristo.
I will buy it in a minute, IF it has the appearance of the current offerings and is as functional as the old “O” guage stuff I used to play with as a kid. You could bend it easily to work around any living room furniture made.
Anyone know who has used it?

Wendell, It’s the same rail as they use in o gauge and the same ties as they just cut the notches for the rail farther apart. I had some a few years back and it looked identical to o gauge stuff. It may be loud as it’s tubular and it uses those connector blades at the joints.

Guys:

Google “Gragraves” for their email address and email them directly.

Geeesh.

Great folks. There is a minimum qty order for custom gauged track.

Wendell. thank you for a great idea. This is the track that I will use for my indoor layout. I like wood ties but I can’t see myself hand laying. Besides once the ballast is applied I really won’t notice the missing spikes that much. Also very easy track to make custom diameter curves.

Norman

Consider this pricing and product description from Gargraves Trackage Corp website:
#702 model – 37" long sections - 9.80 each section

#1 Gauge (G) Flexible Track
Stainless rails
Wooden Ties
Phone: 315-483-6577
8967 Ridge Rd.
North Rose, NY 14516

Norman intends on using it. Anyone used it outdoors? Anyone evaluated the useability of the rail height as noted by Chuck, above posting?
Considering the cost --REALLY? $9.80 for 37" of track? In stainless, no less.
Is this product a gem? Only indoor use? Christmas tree focused? Use outdoors with big savings and ease of installation??
Why no ads in Garden RR? I don’t recall a review. Compared to the other track mfg’s, the cost alone warrants a product evaluation.
Wendell

If it’s tubular as Chuck says I wonder if you can bend it, but Wendell says you could bend the stuff he had as a kid, that looked pretty much the same…

Hi John and Wendell:

google gargraves track

or type in this:

http://www.gargraves.com/

video of how to bend gargraves track:

http://www.gargraves.com/diagramsandinstructions.html

Thank you again Wendell for reminding me of Gargraves track. Put steel wheels on all rolling stock and I can relive my childhood memories of that " steel wheels rolling on steel track sound " along the ugly, but great sounding, Lionel three rail track. The clickity clack sound of the steel wheels crossing the track gaps was also great, very prototypical sound I always thought.

Norman

Thanks Norm, I did that this afternoon. Their site is quite an eye-opener.

Interesting…they make Standard Gauge track, in stainless or tin-plate. I didn’t know anybody was still making it.
Ralph

Interesting…The picture on the web-site doesn’t have me terribly excited; the appearance is certainly not “narrow gauge”. Even a little off for “standard”.

The ties definitely look “O” gauge.

Still…Nice price and likely better than the steel Bachmann starter set stuff.

I have a case of it for testing. The track is flex track. The rail’s overall profile is lower. The gauge is tighter and car wheels don’t have much slop. The ties are wood and probably need some type of treatment to survive?? Not nearly as tough as Aristo. Even the factory rep told me that it was fragile enough so don’t walk on it.

I was planning on using them for storage tracks for cars. I would think the stainless should hold up and they won’t get too much abuse.

What about as display track for a shelf queen?

I am surprised Friar Fred didn’t comment on this posting as he used several boxes of it on the IPP&W many years ago. He also used every poison known to man in a fruitless attempt to preserve the wood ties. If I remember correctly the ties lasted two years if soaked in creosote. I still have a case of it in the basement. I might use it for an indoor storage track but definitely not outdoors.

That’s why I’m saving it for shelves and car storage.

Joe may have the closing comment on the use of Gargraves stainless “flex” track with wooden ties. He made the last post in the August thread after purchasing a case of it. Joe, any further comments since receiving the track in August? Fred’s experience years ago was to dissuade use outdoors because of the ties deteriorating – and, as you said, don’t step on it.
So that leaves use indoors. I am thinking of next Christmas, for the under-tree train group The price is certainly reasonable for what appears to be stainless tubular track that flexes.

Your conclusions, and those of other users since the last posting?

Wendell