Large Scale Central

Chains on On30 Ore Cars

I’ve got 6 wooden Bachmann side dump ore cars, any idea how the chains are suppose to be attached to the frames? I’ve super glued them to the frame and now suffer from the chains breaking, any one have a better way of securing the dump bodies in the shipping mode?

No ideas? Bob? Bart? Bruce? i’m stunned.

Can’t say I can help you. I dont have any of those cars (I only have three or four On30 cars myself)

Thanks for answering back, Bob. I just can’t figure how it is suppose to be.

Been a while since I owned one of these but there should be little hooks on the sides to hook the chains too. The chains are to hold the load box in place during transit. When unloading you’d unhook the chains on the opposite side allowing the load box to tilt over and spill its load. If the hooks are not there you may have to add them. Mine were the metal cars not the all plastic ones.

Thanks Victor, I tried suprglue and it was too much and broke the chain. I’ll try a spike hook. Your description is how I thought they worked.

I used clear coloured fine fishing line to tie the chains on. You can barely see it unless you go looking for it. Especially if you lightly coat it with clear nail polish. (dont tell my w
ife!)
Regards from Andrew

Sandbar & Mudcrab Railway

Rick:

As Vic wrote, there are hooks at the bottom / end of the truck side frame. On mine, the chains will usually stay on the hooks without glue.

I have a couple that have been rebuilt with Sierra Valley Enterprise’s detailing kits. In addition to the other detailing parts, the SVE kit supplies smaller chains along with rings that more closely represent the hardware found on the prototypes.

See:

http://www.sierravalleyenterprises.com/bach_ore_cars.html

There is a picture (of the modified cars) that shows the chains attached.

Happy RRing,

Jerry

Andrew, Jerry and others that thought about this, thanks form the ideas and the link. These are the ideas I needed.

Sorry Ric…I don;t have any of these little guys…I hadn’t checked the furums for a few days and when I had…you already had the answer…