Large Scale Central

REVIEW Requests: PIKO Mogul & "New" Annie

NOW A SPECIAL AT TRAINWORLD - Someone certainly has bought one (?)

For any readers knew to the hobby – as increased postings indicate there are - responses to below may be helpful

Any of yoU using the New PIKO Mogul - MSRP at $250.00? or the “newer” metal geared Annie loco? If so, please offer your assessment if either are worthy of being first loco for new readers of this site.

Secondly, how did you know how to order or personally purchase the
“newer” B’mann loco? What are the identifying numbers – the B’mann ad announcing the improved model offers the same model numbers as last year’s model. So which one would TRAINWORLD mail to a customer?

Wendell

Wendell, while I havent had a chance to operate the Piko I got a good look at it at the GTE, its NICE, I had originally considered cutting the pilot off and converting it to an 0-6-0, but after getting a close look at it I have to say it looks really good as a small mogul, I think its BETTER looking than the LGB at least its better for a standard guage or more modern mogul. I like my Saddletanker well enough though I dont tax it load wise, the mogul doesnt make the same stupid mistake Piko did with the saddletanker, namely the wheels are not painted like the saddletanker, and it has THE best coupler attachement at the tanker I have seen yet as well as tender power pick up. its should be a great runner.

Victor-
I saw it also at the Anaheim show. I was surprised at the $199.00 +/- show price being as low as it was.
Hopefully, one of our readers has one and will report testing it. Compared to the current $500+ prices for the “new” LGB mogul, it appears to be a good deal.

Vic, save your saw blade:

(http://www.wholesaletrains.com/SMImages/LG200869253.JPG)

^^^ I had no intention of buying one…Until I saw that. ^^^

Looks great in black. Here I thought I was done with the “small stuff”. :slight_smile:

IF, and I say “IF”, this switcher is a quality product, we may have the start of useable realistic products at reasonable prices.

Has anyone purchased and assessed it?

That looks like just what I need for my yard operations.
What scale is the Piko?
Ralph

http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detail.asp?ID=200854491

Ralph gummi scale in effect but this one leans more toward the 1/29 side.

Bummer :frowning:
I need it to lean the other way to go with my Big Hauler stuff :wink:
Ralph

I bought one of the new Bachmann Big Haulers, specifically to examine and evaluate the new drive & loco.

The worm is steel and a double thread (which means, no surging). Worm is driving a brass worm gear. On the same shaft with the worm gear is a small spur gear driving a large axle gear.

Very smooth and quiet. Should last a long time. Don’t know how strong it is. The new pilot is a big improvement over the old unit. They made the same improvement that I did when I was starting out, putting the pilot truck on an arm. One more step to go, make the truck frame flex to equalize the wheels to track the rail contours.

The weight is no longer cast iron, some kind of plate stacked up (it is magnetic).

Really a nice unit.

Barry - BBT

I recently purchased a Pilko 2-6-0 Mogul from Trainworld a few weeks ago and finally got to run it on my outdoor layout.After removing it from its shipping box I must say it is a very heavy locomotive for its size.The painting and detail are very nice.There were no painting flaws that I could find.The tender is also nicely done.There are some detail parts that have to be installed,but after that this locomotive is ready to run.After putting it on the track and adding some smoke fluid I powered it up.The engine ran smoothly and the smoke unit gave off a good amount of smoke.At first the motor sounded a little stiff but after a few minutes it calmed down.I hooked it up to five LGB freight cars and it pulled them easily.I would say for the price it is an excellent buy.

Richard and Barry–
Thanks for the report.
Here’s hopes all the upcoming PIKO products will return us to trusting a quality that was not presumed to need “consumer beta testing.”

Richard-
Does it appear to have easy access to the motor and gearing assembly? My experience with LGB products - out of the box - is lubrication was not a primary focus and was very sparse. Your experience?

Wendell Hanks said:
Richard- Does it appear to have easy access to the motor and gearing assembly? My experience with LGB products - out of the box - is lubrication was not a primary focus and was very sparse. Your experience?
Piko used to pack so much grease in there that it interfered with the electrical pick-up.

There’s a review in GARTENBAHNprofi 3/2012, here are the scores according to their points system (six=excellent; one=deficient)

Scale: no score
Detailing: no score
Paint and Lettering: 5
Chassis and Drive: 4
Current Pickup: 4
Production Quality: 5
Running Quality: 4
Ease of DCC Conversion: 6
Instruction Manual: 4
Cost/Benefit Ratio: 5

Worth mentioning: the clever engine to tender connection(very user friendly) and the improved drive.

The previous drives were doubtful at best!

A review is in the July issue of Model Railroader. The staff report on this loco is favorable. The loco weighs 5 lbs and 7 with the tender. The draw pull test result was 30+ cars. Impressive.
Wendell

Wendell Hanks said:
A review is in the July issue of Model Railroader. The staff report on this loco is favorable. The loco weighs 5 lbs and 7 with the tender. The draw pull test result was 30+ cars. Impressive. Wendell
I guess that's almost like promoting LS in MR, isn't it? :) :D :lol:

I’ll check what the details are when the town library has it ready for circulation.
But if I look at the

MR said:
The model has a powerful mechanism and can be easily converted to Digital Command Control.

I ask myself if the same proviso applies that Marc H mentioned in the E94 review
Marc H said:
…engine will evidently accept only PIKO decoder and sound system (available separately).

Perhaps something to keep in mind, especially in view of the trials and tribulations people usually go through tweaking the CVs to have the PIKO engines behave in a normal manner.

A friend of mine just bought one and he’s very happy with it’s performance.

Nick

Has he converted it to DCC?

Just track power so far HJ, I will let you know if he puts the decoder in it.
Nick

Barry reports above he bought one of the new “Annies” with the new metal gears, etc.
OK, here’s the question unanswered to this point: How this newer model be ordered mail-order (say TRAINWORLD) and ensure receiving the “newest” model? From what I saw in the TRAINWORLD ads, the numbers for the loco are the same as last year and last year…etc.?
Is there a code on the box? What is persuasive to the nice person taking your order?

For Barry: Is the new gear box for the Annie of particular interest because of the insights you shared with the Bachmann product designers?
Wendell