Large Scale Central

Building and Bashing Amtrak Equipment

OK…A few mods(which I call easy) that can be done too these cars that make them look a bit better. One of the issues I didn’t like was the clear marker lights on the end of the cars as they should be red. This is an easy fix as you just slide the doors open and remove the clear plastic sprue it just clips in and can be removed with a small flat blade or and exacto knife. I then just dabbed some red paint on the back of the sprue and reinserted it. This makes for very pleasing results. Another option I did with latter cars was to just carefully use a red sharpie and color in the clear plastic without removing it (below picture shows the red sharpie results) however the red paint makes it more pronounced. I also used a black and a blue sharpie then colored in the MU ports, the end one that is still silver will be colored in white. These are a molded piece and can easily be removed.

The next thing I did was body mounted Kadee couplers. The G gauge #830’s (new # 906) work perfect. First you remove the truck (one screw in the center) then flip it over on the car. There are 2 screws that hold the factory mounted coupler arm too the truck, remove them and loosen the 2 screws on the outside below the springs. You don’t need to remove the outer screws just loosening them up will give you enough clearance too remove the coupler arm. I suppose I could have cut the arm but if I ever want too put them back like they were I opted too remove the whole arm.

I made a 2 piece platform from 1/4" pvc board (5mm thick actually) which I CA’ed together. I removed the 2 screws that hold the bottom of the end frame of the car and replaced them with #4 x3/4 screws with washers. The platform must sit on top of the screw hole escutcheons. I inserted the factory screws on the outside holes of the coupler box so they wouldn’t get lost. One screw in the center of the Kadee box will secure the coupler as the tang on the Kadee box lays flush and tight against the end of the car. “NOTE” I BASED MY MOD’S ON A 4.5 Radius OR 9’ DIAMETER MINIMUM CURVE anything less may not work. With the 1/2" thick (10mm) base in place this will put the coupler at the exact height of the Kadee height gauge with no other shims needed. I also removed the factory diaphragm (they are pinned with a pressed fit) and added USA trains PA1 rubber diaphragm that I cut down for just the center section.

And done

2 Likes

Nice ““How-To”” article, Son… good job… :slight_smile:

(http://www.criticallayouts.com/images/rsgallery/original/caterpillar-1-0214.gif)

I’m not done yet Dad! :wink:

Looking good ‘Worm’.

Looks great. Will they go around your curves?
Ralph

Nice Mods !

I think a set of Amfleets would look great on my new line.

Ralph Berg said:
Looks great. Will they go around your curves? Ralph

NO! I just did that cause I thought they looked cool! :wink:

hmmmm, track looks like it needs a lil support there, son… :slight_smile:

what is the going rate on an Amfleet car?

David Russell said:
Ralph Berg said:
Looks great. Will they go around your curves? Ralph
NO! I just did that cause I thought they looked cool! ;)
They do look cool. I assumed you had to move the couplers before you could test it ;) Ralph

John,
unfortunately, I think you left your run too late for these cars. Eighteen months ago they were being flogged off on eBay for a pittance. I have not seen cars listed for a long time. I purchased my six cars and two Genesis back then. A coach could be had for around $150 (Cafe car around $130)and a Genesis for around $215 - $249. I purchased the phase lV as it was cheaper than the other versions. Today, a Genesis will be around $550 - $600. A car, well could be anything?

Nice simple mods, but they really do add to the authentic Amtrak look. I like what you did with the MU covers. That third MU cover is painted white. If there is a white sharpie? These aren’t HEP ports. HEP ports are typically painted red and are typically lower and closer to the coupler. The black ports are locomotive MU run through ports. This is for locos on both ends of the train. I always forget what the blue and white are for. Something to do with push pull service and PA announcements? The white port might be a dummy plug so you can plug one end into the blue and the other into the white. I’d have to consult my Amtrak electrical manual again to be sure. It’s nice to have a cousin who used to work as an Amtrak electrician in Chicago. Here’s the prototype:

(http://i.imgur.com/1ANEh.jpg)

You also mentioned working on a Genesis. This photo might be useful for the front details:

(http://i.imgur.com/f7CC9.jpg)

Looks good Rooster. Those are nice cars. When do we get to see them on your layout running?

Tim Brien said:
John, unfortunately, I think you left your run too late for these cars. Eighteen months ago they were being flogged off on eBay for a pittance. I have not seen cars listed for a long time. I purchased my six cars and two Genesis back then. A coach could be had for around $150 (Cafe car around $130)and a Genesis for around $215 - $249. I purchased the phase lV as it was cheaper than the other versions. Today, a Genesis will be around $550 - $600. A car, well could be anything?
I agree they are fetching crazy prices these days. Glad you checked out this thread Tim, was thinking of adding too yours but didn't want to jack it up....perhaps some of these mods will give you ideas on your fleet. ;)
Matt said:
Nice simple mods, but they really do add to the authentic Amtrak look.

I like what you did with the MU covers. That third MU cover is painted white. If there is a white sharpie?

These aren’t HEP ports. HEP ports are typically painted red and are typically lower and closer to the coupler.

The black ports are locomotive MU run through ports. This is for locos on both ends of the train.

I always forget what the blue and white are for. Something to do with push pull service and PA announcements? The white port might be a dummy plug so you can plug one end into the blue and the other into the white. I’d have to consult my Amtrak electrical manual again to be sure. It’s nice to have a cousin who used to work as an Amtrak electrician in Chicago.

Matt,
Once again thanks ! I knew the end port was White but all I had on hand was spray paint or white out…I didn’t figure anyone would notice but I forgot about you!!..:slight_smile:
I also thought that the HEP ports were marked red with yellow plugs but I didn’t research the cars that much and could not come up with a picture as clear as yours too see them down there.
As for the Genesis …it’s actually pretty much finished but was waiting for page 2 so Ralph didn’t complain that I forgot my pictures on page 1.

There you go page two now post those pictures.

Shawn said:
There you go page two now post those pictures.

;)…Page 2

For Ralph…

Nice Rooster. Im not a fan of moderen stuff but I can see myself putting in a larger loop around my pool area and running some stuff like that. Although it would be NJ transit logo instead.

Shawn said:
Nice Rooster. Im not a fan of moderen stuff but I can see myself putting in a larger loop around my pool area and running some stuff like that. Although it would be NJ transit logo instead.

Then you’ll need to be scratch building one of these. Coming to rails near you :smiley:

(http://www.cat-bus.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/BombardierDualModeTrain.jpeg)

When will it be done Shawn?