Large Scale Central

To HJ and others -- Any further data?

To HJ and all:

Tim Brien’s experience with the newest LGB/Marklin products was reported by Tim in the “REVIEW” section. He concluded the newest LGB products are just not up to standard. As to which other company is actually manufacturing the LGB line, Tim concluded:

Tim Brien wrote:
Wendell,
the ‘other company’ is Newqida. I have unconfirmed reports that the company that manufactures Newqida, also produces the Marklin/LGB Chinese production .

Any further data supporting Tim’s observation?

Wendell

Wendell,
some time ago, a 1/20.3 scale live steam Porter was introduced to the market. On prerelease, it was rumoured that Bachmann was the manufacturer. In fact, Wuhu Arts and Crafts in China was the builder. Surprise, surprise, the Porter, while still available under the Wuhu Arts and Crafts brandname, is now marketted as the ‘new’ Accucraft #5 Ruby. In the automotive world this is known as badge engineering. Who makes what is basically unimportant, it is who markets the product that has the impact on the market.

I am sure that more Accucraft models will be sold then those under the Wuhu Arts and Craft banner,  even though they are the same.
Wendell Hanks said:
Tim Brien wrote: Wendell, the 'other company' is Newqida. I have unconfirmed reports that the company that manufactures Newqida, also produces the Marklin/LGB Chinese production .

Any further data supporting Tim’s observation?

Wendell

None at all. :wink: :slight_smile:

It is summer time in the Northern hemisphere, there is a shortage of all kinds of News - especially good News - perfect time to start a few more of those rumours that lack substance, logic and a few other ingredients.

As always strictly my opinion. :smiley:

Quote:
... Surprise, surprise, the Porter, while still available under the Wuhu Arts and Crafts brandname, is now marketted as the 'new' Accucraft #5 Ruby.
Tim, That's not the case. The are definitely [i]not[/i] the same locomotive. There are significant engineering similarities, yes. (I'm told the engineers behind WuHu are former Accucraft guys, but have no confirmation on that.) Whatever the genesis of the similarities, they are merely that. This was discussed at length when the WuHu loco first came out, and confirmed when people actually got their hands on one and compared it to the Accucraft loco.

http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/aff/11/aft/114928/afv/topic/Default.aspx#157750, photo at the bottom of the thread.

There’s no way they’re built from the same parts–in fact when you see them side by side, the differences stand out much more than any perceived similarities from seeing them in separate photos. Accucraft’s new Porter is definitely built on the Ruby.

Per a friend who’s been dealing with WuHu directly on a project I’ve been involved with, WuHu and Accucraft are not one and the same, nor do they share products.

Later,

K