Large Scale Central

Bite The Brass

I’ve been in the process of restoring an old Precision Scale D&RGW brass long caboose basket case, and after much soldering and resoldering, I once again faced the problem of priming the beast with something that would grab the brass and provide a good base for the finish coat. Over the years, I have tried everything from rabbit urine to polio vaccine and have never been very happy with the durability of the finished product. I decided to check out our local low-rider shop, and they turned me on to a product which is light years better than anything I’ve used thus far. It’s a metal etching primer called “TECnique” self etching primer. Now I’ve used a number of other such paints, but this stuff really gets a bite. It passed my wire brush test with flying colors. It is fast drying and goes on smoothly and does not glob over details AT ALL. I am really impressed so far—we’ll see how it resists handling, but I’m optimistic based on my experiences. I got it at NAPA, but had to ask for it–not on the shelf. It comes in a spray can, and costs about 8 bucks.
john

Well, Sir - I’ll be among the first to admit that I’d listen carefully to anybody who drinks rabbit urine or polio vaccine. Very brave of you, too, to stand up and be counted among those with similar personal problems - not necessarily on THIS forum, tho’.

Anyone who goes THAT far in pursuit of his hobby is obviously made of far sterner stuff than I am.

Good to hear that you found a good product to help with your painting problems as well, although the other ‘little’ problem you seem to be all to ready to admit to would concern me far more… :wink:

BTW, if it all gets too much for you, and the Good Lord knows that can happen to anybody, you might just like to try my late Great Uncle Jack’s ‘lightning pick-me-up’ - one he used in the trenches in WW1 to great effect. He also lived to the ripe old age of 95.

Here it is, and BTW, do NOT stand anywhere near a naked flame for at least 24 hours after drinking it -

1. Take an 8oz glass and 3/4 fill it with methylated spirit/pharmaceutical rubbing alcohol

2. Top it off with as much California Syrup of Figs as will go into the glass, and still leave room for the

3. TWO heaped tablespoons of Andrews Liver Salts or powdered Alka-Seltzer [nitrates of Magnesia also work well, trust me]

4. Stir it up and drink it ALL down in one.

5. Go sit down someplace quiet for a while - bleeve me, you’ll be better off alone.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Terry you got it wrong again!!!

Paul

TAC—No need for any extraneous liquids in the TECnique league, baby. One thing I forgot to mention is that the fumes from this stuff will have you raving out of your head even more than usual. A couple of deep whiffs of this fine psychoactive primer and my caboose looked like a mutant dugong.
Wonderful! One large problem, however… the heinous volatility of this slime precludes any open flame— let alone my ADC signature model hash pipe… But, I like the recipe you have there— maybe I could put the liver salts on the glass rim in the summer… and perhaps add a dash of that Green Lizard hair tonic…
Damn, Ticky-Tack!! You really know how to live!!!
john

E. Paul Austin said:
Terry you got it wrong again!!!

Paul

Uh. I don’t like to mention it in public, but since you have made the point, I will.

My post is intended to be somewhat humorous, as in ‘ha-ha’.

Please look up the meaning of the word and you’ll understand.

Please note that your pointing out how wrong I am in almost everything I post does not bode well for our eventual meeting. You might need to bring a few friends with you.

On the other hand, if there is a medical or mental condition that renders you unable to appreciate an obvious attempt at humour when it comes up and smacks you in the eye, I’m happy to apologise, and move on from there.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Terry A de C Foley said:
Well, Sir - I'll be among the first to admit that I'd listen carefully to anybody who drinks rabbit urine or polio vaccine. Very brave of you, too, to stand up and be counted among those with similar personal problems - not necessarily on THIS forum, tho'.

Anyone who goes THAT far in pursuit of his hobby is obviously made of far sterner stuff than I am.

Good to hear that you found a good product to help with your painting problems as well, although the other ‘little’ problem you seem to be all to ready to admit to would concern me far more… :wink:

BTW, if it all gets too much for you, and the Good Lord knows that can happen to anybody, you might just like to try my late Great Uncle Jack’s ‘lightning pick-me-up’ - one he used in the trenches in WW1 to great effect. He also lived to the ripe old age of 95.

Here it is, and BTW, do NOT stand anywhere near a naked flame for at least 24 hours after drinking it -

1. Take an 8oz glass and 3/4 fill it with methylated spirit/pharmaceutical rubbing alcohol

2. Top it off with as much California Syrup of Figs as will go into the glass, and still leave room for the

3. TWO heaped tablespoons of Andrews Liver Salts or powdered Alka-Seltzer [nitrates of Magnesia also work well, trust me]

4. Stir it up and drink it ALL down in one.

5. Go sit down someplace quiet for a while - bleeve me, you’ll be better off alone.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

tac, no doubt that Uncle Jack could have been used as a prototype for a flame-thrower.

May I suggest that you substitute 200 proof ethyl alcohol, otherwise known as St. Andrew’s White Lightening, from the St. Andrews cross on our late battle ensign, the Stars and Bars.

Burrwwhahaha, white litenin!

Rubbing alcohol will rapidly foul the business end of the flame thrower.

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :lol:

For Mr. Egert: if rabbit urine doesn’t work, you can be sure that wolf urine does. The only problem is acquiring a sample.

And, though the polio vaccine has been found wanting, have you tried plague or yellow fever vaccine. I have it on good authority that those two will take rust off a bumper.

Steve Featherkile said:
For Mr. Egert: if rabbit urine doesn't work, you can be sure that wolf urine does. The only problem is acquiring a sample.
I tried to get some, fresh squeezed, no dice!

Anyho, there was another tip on a model engineering website about painting brass that suggested another automotive etch primer, from Dupli Color, this may be of help if the exact brand cannot be found.

In the automotive paint world, I used metal prep – Dupont makes one – to etch bare metal (actually a cleaning process) on body panels in preparation for primer. Automotive paint suppliers carry the products.

Now, as to other substances suggested by our at-the-ready hobbiest bartenders, I doubt fouling a project with animal excretions would work. However, I am likely in error considering what can be used to tan leather!

Saddle up!

Wendell

Coca-Cola that has run through the mill once works on removing pain from car hoods , maybe that will work.
I’m ready for some gizzard kicken pie-hole poppen, butt stomp en.
I’m so excited I can’t even spell. ;-o

The active ingredient in Coca-Cola is phosphoric acid.

So this is another acid etching method.

I think you could do without the sugar and caramel coloring though ha ha!

Greg