Large Scale Central

Ozark Grain Elevator 'kit'

I got a Ozark Miniatures grain elevator ‘kit’. All it is is a box of materials and some small plans. You measure everything out and cut it all yourself. Not a single printed line or any pre-cuts or full size plans. Materials seem fine, I will say that.

Gee then I guess Bruce has a Mikado “kit” then huh?

Jerry. Was there any photo of it or something to see what it looks like… Is it a small one or med size? I went to the Ozark link and not see it ?? Sounds like you have a chore now to get it together, but we know you can do it. laf.

It was in an ad in GR, on sale till sometime in Feb. See Feb 2010 issue of GR, page 18 for a pix of it on sale till 2-15.

I believe the Smith Pond Junction kits are the same way.
I’ve got a Lionel Depot kit that is similar. Siding all has to be cut from a large sheet.
Thank God they cut the cedar shingles.
Ralph

You do cut all the pieces for the Smith Pond Junction kits…but they provide full size templates.

(http://jbrr.com/Pics/Structures/HillbillyCabin/ThatsAKit.JPG)

They have detailed instructions on line as well. It’s basically built like a real building.

(http://jbrr.com/Pics/Structures/HillbillyCabin/Framing.JPG)

They recommend you don’t leave them outside, but mine have been outside for 4 or 5 years with no ill effects. I’ll be interested to see what your building looks like, Jerry.

In a similar vein - Many years ago, I bought a Billing Boat kit for the Swedish lake side-wheeler ‘Hjeljan’. The figurehead of this graceful all-wooden plank hulled model was a maiden metamorphosing into a swan, with her arms changing into swan’s wings that wrapped around either side of the stem, and her lower body changing from a diaphanous robe into the body of a swan. This item, some 1.2 inches from top to tail, was a real work of art and imagination, skilfully reproduced in miniature in the copious drawings and photos that accompanied this advanced-level model by the consummate craftsman that Billing employed to build their models as examples to the rest of us mere mortals as to the things that might be achieved by dint of sheer skill and hard-work.

Having paid an extraordinary amount of money for the compulsory 'fitting’s kit - all the metalwork, deadeyes, portholes, ventilators, window-frames and deck gear, I cast about the fifteen million bits for the ready-made figurehead.

In vain.

Instead, there was a rectangular lump of fairly close-grained wood, stamped p344, that had no obvious place in the general scheme of things. Leastways, none that was readily evident to THIS boy.

So, looking frantically in the forty-something pages of instructions, I finally found the following note -

‘Take part nr. p344, and carefully carve into shape of figurehead. Apply to front of bow.’

It went without a figurehead.

tac
www.ovgrs.org
www.gscalecentral.co.uk
G1MRA 3641

Jerry,

Sorry to hear how you received your grain elevator kit, but I am glad to hear how these kits are put together. I had plans in the works to cut a grain elevator on my cnc router and make kits available, but I put it on the back burner when I saw the kit offered by Ozark. It will take a few weeks to get to it, but it’s back on now.

I hope you can figure out what to do.

Chuck

Well, I am sure I can make it, but it just was not what I expected, based on the ad. If it would have said plans and the materials to make it but you do all the cutting/measuring I would have known to expect that and probably would not have ordered it.

Noel Wilson said:
Jerry. Was there any photo of it or something to see what it looks like.. Is it a small one or med size? I went to the Ozark link and not see it ?? Sounds like you have a chore now to get it together, but we know you can do it. laf.
http://www.ozarkminiatures.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=12124
Chuck Inlow said:
Jerry,

Sorry to hear how you received your grain elevator kit, but I am glad to hear how these kits are put together. I had plans in the works to cut a grain elevator on my cnc router and make kits available, but I put it on the back burner when I saw the kit offered by Ozark. It will take a few weeks to get to it, but it’s back on now.

I hope you can figure out what to do.

Chuck

Chuck let me know when your ready. I have been looking for a grain elvator and Im sorry for Jerry but he saved me a big head ack. I’m not all that skilled so the peices being cut for me is more my speed. I can glue things no trouble, but cut them as well. Not good.

Gee, glad I’ve been so helpful! :slight_smile: Donations appreciated. LOL

John Bouck said:
Noel Wilson said:
Jerry. Was there any photo of it or something to see what it looks like.. Is it a small one or med size? I went to the Ozark link and not see it ?? Sounds like you have a chore now to get it together, but we know you can do it. laf.
http://www.ozarkminiatures.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=12124
Tks Much John.. Not a bad looking building..

Glade I did not jump into that one. It’s bad enough with the Colorado mine that I got. I;m usally pretty good at figureing things out but this one takes the cake. Later RJD

R.J. DeBerg said:
Glade I did not jump into that one. It's bad enough with the Colorado mine that I got. I;m usally pretty good at figureing things out but this one takes the cake. Later RJD
Great the mine is my weekend project.

Gee RJ, I have more ‘fun’ to look forward to? I ordered that mine ‘kit’ also. Sigh…not having much luck here lately. Guess I should just stick with scratch building.

Gentlemen; First take your plan sheets to the local printer, I would use Kinko’s (now Fed EX something) and enlarge the sheet to 100% of what I needed if I where to want to lay the material on the sheets as I am building. From the plan sheet I saw above I will have no problem. Second I don’t know how you all scratch build, but I usually draw a small sketch of what I think I want the final building to look like. Right now I am researching how to rig a boom loader for my log load yard. I have used Ozark doors and windows on an other project and liked them alot as they have good detail. I did start out in HO and did alot of building there, of course my eyes were much better then too!

Good luck on your building.

Paul

Jerry Barnes said:
Gee RJ, I have more 'fun' to look forward to? I ordered that mine 'kit' also. Sigh.......not having much luck here lately. Guess I should just stick with scratch building.
Jerry did you ever check with Colorado about your stuff? I needed a peice they forgot and got it thursday. They mailed it monday so they seem to be good at shipping. There must have been a mess up some were. When I called on Saturday about the peice missing I did not htnk I would hear feom anyone untill monday. I was wrong. Bruce called me back with in a hour and said he would mail on monday. I found him to be very vey nice and very helpful. Told me if there were any other problems to call right away so he could get them fixed.

Geoff

Yeah, I got it today, they said they sent it Priority, but did not. Have not checked the parts. Did not care that it was late. Still looking at that Ozark kit!

Well Paul,
I’m out in the mid-Nebraska boonies, not print enlarging around here!