Large Scale Central

Bachmann Fn3 long caboose

1. Just received a Bachmann Fn3 long caboose in flying Rio Grande scheme.

2. It is very nice. It has a fully detailed interior.

3. But the marker lights face red to rear, and

4. the anti-rotation devices are absent from the turn-buckles.

Sorry for the long and drawn-out review, I’ll try and keep them shorter, as requested.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Terry,
You prolly won’t get any responses.
I didn’t when I posted my thoughts on this model.
But Jerry got 2 pages with his posting.
Guess ours weren’t full of info. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

John Bouck said:
Terry, You prolly won't get any responses. I didn't when I posted my thoughts on this model. But Jerry got 2 pages with his posting. Guess ours weren't full of info. :) :) :)
No.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Did a little segment on my “live” channel on it if anyone cares to take a look its in video on demand under last tuesday nite i believe see it in operation, pretty cool.

http://www.mogulus.com/crazytrainguyschannel

Jerry Hansen said:
Did a little segment on my "live" channel on it if anyone cares to take a look its in video on demand under last tuesday nite i believe see it in operation, pretty cool.

http://www.mogulus.com/crazytrainguyschannel

Excellent.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Hi Tac,

I have the RGS model. To change the marker lites, if you just wiggel the top of the light and gently pull up it will come off the base. Just turn the top so the green lense is at the front or where you want it and gently put it back in place. I dont have a layout yet but put it on a piece of track. It rolled back and forth without much effort. I feel this is one of bachman’s better models.

Chuckger

Chuck Cole said:
Hi Tac, I have the RGS model. To change the marker lites, if you just wiggel the top of the light and gently pull up it will come off the base. Just turn the top so the green lense is at the front or where you want it and gently put it back in place. I dont have a layout yet but put it on a piece of track. It rolled back and forth without much effort. I feel this is one of bachman's better models. Chuckger
Thank you, Sir.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Were the “anti-rotation devices” (i.e, planks of wood shoved between adjacent turnbuckles) always there, or were they something that was put in place at a certain point in time or on certain pieces of equipment? It’s not the easiest part to see in photos, but the close-ups I have seen seem to run about 50/50 on whether that’s there or not. That’s a feature that seems to be unique to Colorado narrow gauge. It makes perfect sense in application, but for whatever reason, the eastern narrow gauge lines seem to have not thought such measures necessary.

Later,

K

Kevin Strong said:
Were the "anti-rotation devices" (i.e, planks of wood shoved between adjacent turnbuckles) always there, or were they something that was put in place at a certain point in time or on certain pieces of equipment? It's not the easiest part to see in photos, but the close-ups I have seen seem to run about 50/50 on whether that's there or not. That's a feature that seems to be unique to Colorado narrow gauge. It makes perfect sense in application, but for whatever reason, the eastern narrow gauge lines seem to have not thought such measures necessary. Later, K
Sir, as a simple furriner, what I know about the Colorado narrow gauge lines could be written in large letters on a gnat's eyelash, so I have to rely on what little I see others do.

When I built the Sheridan shorty caboose, THAT had them.

Some folks like their eggs pointy end up, others don’t - I’m not trying to start a security plank war.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

PS - apologies for the extreme wordiness of my response.

No worries from me. I live in the state, and would be hard pressed to exceed your written summary–hence my question. Responses on other fora seem to indicate that it was hit-or-miss with the cabooses as it was with the freight equipment. It’s a neat detail.

Later,

K

Kevin Strong said:
No worries from me. I live in the state, and would be hard pressed to exceed your written summary--hence my question. Responses on other fora seem to indicate that it was hit-or-miss with the cabooses as it was with the freight equipment. It's a neat detail.

Later,

K

Right.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Kevin,

Interesting statement that the turnbuckle stabilizing or tightening board was not used on the “Eastern Narrow Gauge Railroads”. I never caught the distinction.

Guess I’ll have to pull them from the flat I built that is destined to become EBT’s tank - If a certain fabrication shop in Ft. Gay ever finishes the job on the tank :o

…those planks make it a lot easier to “Ride the rods”, for those of us that want a free ride. I usually cary my own plank, but having one already in place sure adds to my comfort …!!!

Fred Mills said:
.....those planks make it a lot easier to "Ride the rods", for those of us that want a free ride. I usually cary my own plank, but having one already in place sure adds to my comfort ......!!!
Tee hee.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Terry

1. Just received my Bachmann Fn3 long caboose in the D&RGWR Scenic Route configuration

2. Ditto, The roof is easy to remove

3. Ditto, Marker lights are easy to rotate

4. Ditto

5. Love mine

Deano

:slight_smile:

tac
www.ovgrs.org